First Wood Stove Recommendations Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rucati14

Nov 2, 2021
olig835
We are looking to buy our first freestanding woodstove. We have a masonry hearth and chimney on outside wall inspected and ready to go.. One story ranch house. While not an open floor plan, 3 rooms are fairly open to each other that we would like to heat, about 800-1000 sq ft. Wood stove will be supplement heat over the winter. We do not want to get heated out as the stove will be in the family room. Have seasoned wood ready. Also, looking for a fairly easy to navigate stove being first time owners. We have narrowed it down to Jotul F45, Kuma Aspen, TN20. Kuma is only one with available tax credit (also on backorder) ..a bonus but still will consider the best stove for our needs. Can anyone give some insight on what they would choose? Also, a neighbor is selling a Napoleon 1600c in very good condition but I know nothing about it and feel maybe its best to start with a new stove. Any advice much appreciated!

The choices are good. A midsized stove will work. Also look at the PE Super and Drolet Escape 1800.

The 1600c was a decent stove. If it is in really good shape internally then that would work.

The choices are good. A midsized stove will work. Also look at the PE Super and Drolet Escape 1800.

The 1600c was a decent stove. If it is in really good shape internally then that would work.
Thank you. We did look at PE super...could be a consideration but trying to narrow it down. The Nap. 1600 was well taken care of but as a newbie I'm not sure I feel qualified to know exactly what to look for on a used stove. We will probably stop to look at it. I attached the pics she sent.

254269102_4532855676779092_6035960951028702431_n.jpg 252403981_5217467481601110_4848398709881591002_n.jpg 253980370_4478267332241008_8335411369152654471_n.jpg

Nothing glaring jumps out from those pictures. If the price is good, then it may be worth trying out.

The larger kuma free standing stoves would work perfectly for you, you have to factor that the stove over time will have ash build up so that takes away from how much you can load, also stoves preform a little better when there is 1" of ash in the fire box, so its a catch 22.
The other brands are also proven brands with few problems, if you want to do the install this season I'd call around and see who has what in stock then make a choice from there since its kind of late already. But generally you will want a stove 2cu ft minimum.

Thank you. Unfortunately the Kuma is the only one one backorder til late Jan because of the tax credit . Not a deal breaker but would be nice to get going this season. We hesitated too long! TY for your advice..very helpful.