First wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Firstwoodstove

Aug 6, 2020
Spokane
Hey there, so this will be our first time installing a wood stove. It was previously installed through the wall when we moved in, we took it out and now want to put it back. First, which is better- through the roof or through the wall? We would like to go through the roof.

I have (2) 3ft double wall that's brand new. (Yard sale.) And I have the wood stove itself. That's it. I know I need a box thing that goes through the roof, right? From the roof up can I use the double wall? And single wall from the roof down? My idea so far is :

Wood stove connects to single wall connects to box thing in roof connects to double wall connects to the thing that looks like a hat for keeping water,etc out.

Am I even close to getting this right?

Also, any actual names of the above listed "things" would greatly be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

Katie

Straight up is better and usually less expensive. Start by telling us the make and model of the stove. What diameter is the chimney pipe and what brand? Is this a cathedral ceiling or is there an attic or knee wall space above the ceiling?