First Year of pellet burning oil savings numbers are in!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormPanic

Oct 16, 2012
Merrimack Valley, MA
Called the oil company today. Winter of 2011 / 2012, used 710 gallons to keep the thermostat at 64 all winter. Winter of 2012 /2013 after installing my pellet stove in November, used 306 gallons and house was consistently 72 to 74 degrees all winter. Big win for the good guys!!! Thanks to everyone on these forums for all of the great information and advice.

Reactions: pen
What? Only 1 ton in your stash? Better get busy. The early pig gets the best pellets (and prices). ;)

Most of the pigs have over stuffed long ago. Might not be much left! :eek:

Glad the stove is doing what its supposed to and you have a little more cash for other things like good beer! By the way that stash could also use a little bit more too! ==c

so, you saved roughly, what, 400 gallons of oil? Sounds good. And were warmer than you were previously? Also good......At that rate, it'll likely take about 3 years to pay for itself, and then, you're in the black! good for you! watch out for the pellet haters....they read these forums, looking to pounce on the less enlightened..........

Updated my stash for you guys. I usually only keep a ton at a time on hand in the garage. I like keeping the cars in there all winter as well so space is at a premium. Plan to pick up a ton in the next week. Local woodworking company I found makes their own pellets from scraps and dust and sells for $200 / ton. Want to try a few bags of those before I buy a ton. There are so many places in my area that sell pellets now that I don't really worry about keeping multiple tons on hand. My stove seems to do fine with whatever (as long as its not GS or Maine's Choice).

I just received another oil delivery of 104.2 gallons!
Before the stove, I would burn approximately 1.7 gallons per day.
With the stove, I burn about .6 gallons per day.
Roughly $3.30 to $3.50 savings per day.

The numbers are in, and I love them!

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.