Fisher papa bear installation, have a few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

louisdaniel

Dec 20, 2018
CUMMING ga
I just purchased a Fisher Papa Bear (I believe it to be a Papa bear). I plan to install it later this week. I do have a few questions.

1. I have researched a lot on the internet to find the height of the legs on this stove. If I understand correctly, i need 6" of clearance with a standard stove mat. Anyone know the height of these legs? I cant get to the stove right now, and i forgot to measure the legs.

2. Will i need a stove door gasket? It doesn't currently have one, and the manual i have doesn't show one.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• fisher pic 1.JPG
    fisher pic 1.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 235
  • Fisher pic 2.JPG
    Fisher pic 2.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 256
Reactions: Todd67
Welcome to the forum! Yes, you have a Papa Bear, and no, your stove didnt come with a door gasket, and therefore shouldn't need one.

Someone should be along soon to talk about clearances. It might help them if you post some pics of where you are installing the stove.

Do you plan to remove the rust and paint it before you install the stove?

Here's what I can tell you about leg length based on measurements I have on the stoves currently in my shop. All measurements are from the bottom of the stove to the floor.
Papa with ball ends on the feet are 8"
Mama type VI, UL listed, 6.5"
Baby with straight angle legs 6.5"

I've got three Fisher stoves with the legs like yours and they all measure just over 6" to the bottom of the stove.

Still not sure if a stove mat would be enough insulation on the plank flooring is n your 2nd picture. My Mama Bear gets hot on the bottom, but I've never measured the temperature of my hearth under the stove.

I had very old hardwood floors in my house, so I went a little overboard when I built my hearth for my Mama Bear. I even added a floor jack in my basement under the hearth to support the extra weight. I built my hearth big enough to be able to stack wet, frozen wood on without soaking our old wood floors.

Here is how I built my hearth
IMG_0582 (640x480).jpg

IMG_0587 (640x480).jpg

IMG_0669 (640x480).jpg

IMG_20171223_190031992.jpg
IMG_20171223_190024150.jpg

I used metal 2x4's, two layers of cement board on the floor & walls of the hearth, then paver stoves on the floor of the hearth. The rocks on the back walls were made by my wife from a concrete/vermiculite mixture. She stained the paving stones and painted the home made rocks.

Here is a link to the thread I posted in 2012 that covers all the details of the installation.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/mama-bear-restoration-and-installation-project.91558/

Thank you Don and Todd. Great info. I am headed to a chimney place to get a little more info tomorrow.

As far as the rust and paint, I am a restore guy all the way, but I am not sure I have the time to do this one. I am a cast iron pan collector and restorer. Thinking a little sanding and seasoning will “clean it up” a bit.

I had very old hardwood floors in my house, so I went a little overboard when I built my hearth for my Mama Bear. I even added a floor jack in my basement under the hearth to support the extra weight. I built my hearth big enough to be able to stack wet, frozen wood on without soaking our old wood floors.

Here is how I built my hearth
View attachment 236694
View attachment 236695
View attachment 236696
View attachment 236697
View attachment 236698

I used metal 2x4's, two layers of cement board on the floor & walls of the hearth, then paver stoves on the floor of the hearth. The rocks on the back walls were made by my wife from a concrete/vermiculite mixture. She stained the paving stones and painted the home made rocks.

Here is a link to the thread I posted in 2012 that covers all the details of the installation.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/mama-bear-restoration-and-installation-project.91558/

BY the way Todd, that is incredible!!!!!!

Last edited:
BY the way Todd, that is incredible!!!!!!

Thanks! It was my first and only wood stove installation. So I wanted to document my work on this forum to share with others.

Thank you Don and Todd. Great info. I am headed to a chimney place to get a little more info tomorrow.

As far as the rust and paint, I am a restore guy all the way, but I am not sure I have the time to do this one. I am a cast iron pan collector and restorer. Thinking a little sanding and seasoning will “clean it up” a bit.

Your Papa Bear is in good shape. It will clean up real nice when you get around to it.