Fiskars SS concern

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I just split a little less than a half cord of freshly felled, green Oak tree. The SS did a great job of splitting everything, usually on the first whack. But, now there are a lot of little rough spots, nicks, etc on the edge. Almost looks serrated, there are so many. The Fiskars sharpener does not smooth all of these things out. I'm surprised that the metal is so soft, though I guess it has to be if you can sharpen it. This was a very clean tree that I took down in the middle of my woods, bucked it immediately, stacked the bucks on a pallet then split it all two days later. No metal in any of it. No dirt, rocks, etc. And the wood didn't seem particularly hard.
I'm not sure I like the way the edge is easily damaged, though it didn't seem to affect its ability to split.
Is this something I should be concerned about?

Put the splitter in a bench vise and sharpen it. File from the edge towards the back of the splitter, using a whetsone and plenty of honing oil. The SS will get nicked, dinged, sharpened and resharpened throughout its life. No worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.