Five minute light-off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
This morning we had the shortest light-off time since I have been burning. The stove was about 150F with a small cluster of overnight coals. I loaded on some doug fir and locust. This wood is super dry, it has been in the shed for 3-4 years. I put a couple slivers peeled off the big hunk of locust on the coals, then loaded the stove full with large splits. The fire took off instantly as soon as the slivers ignited and 5 minutes later with a 700F flue temp I had to turn it down completely. I hadn't even finished making coffee. It just goes to show how you can't run a stove by the clock. Every fire is unique and needs close attention until the air is closed down and it settles in for the long burn. Dry wood can take off really quickly.

begreen, that is exactly correct! Each fire is different. If I am buring primarily softwood such as pine or hemlock and it is really dry, it will be a hot fast fire within minutes. If I use hardwood the fire acts differently. Glad that you caught the stove temp before you had an overfire.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
The fire took off instantly as soon as the slivers ignited and 5 minutes later with a 700F flue temp I had to turn it down completely.
Wow that is fast I though mine took off fast at 15 to 20 mins normally.

10-15 minutes is normal for our stove too. This loading surprised me, especially because a large 8" split of locust was centered on the coals. Normally that would be slower to ignite, but this load took off instantly.