Fixing too much draft...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago a person on this forum reported closing off the secondaries all together after the gases part of the fire was done, he claimed the burns were much longer by doing this. It makes sense to me, why have that extra air going through the stove when not needed.
Any opinions on this?

I suppose i should upload some photos seeing as how ive been saying that for about a year. I did make a slider, but as of right now i can only adjust with the surround off. The slider sticks out from the side of the stove with a little hole. I can engage the hole and slide left or right. I may or may not further the mod with a long lever out the surround, but right now im content with adjusting and putting the surround back on for a week or so at a time.

I suppose i should upload some photos seeing as how ive been saying that for about a year. I did make a slider, but as of right now i can only adjust with the surround off. The slider sticks out from the side of the stove with a little hole. I can engage the hole and slide left or right. I may or may not further the mod with a long lever out the surround, but right now im content with adjusting and putting the surround back on for a week or so at a time.
EJL923: How did this work out?

Did anyone else have satisfactory results reducing the secondary air inlet?

I have a PE Spectrum and was having trouble with runaway fires also (Florida Bungalow Syndrome). My flue temps were always going over 1000° and I had to put half loads in with 18% moisture oak. I have 24 ft of chimney (interior class A). I bent the stop tab to allow it to shut down further. Mine has one adjustment that controls primary and secondary with some secondary always open. There are also some openings in the front that always are open.

It works great now as long as I am careful not to shut it down too far too fast and have smoldering. When I have a full load going I can shut it down nearly completely and have nice secondary going with a clean burn.

Reactions: BruceNorEast
Another 2 yr old thread. Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.