Flame colour

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bee man86

Oct 13, 2022
Fallbrook Ontario
Reading through some of the threads I see reference to the colour of the flame in a wood stove as an indicator of temperature and/or proper burning of the wood. Can anyone enlighten me as to what I should be looking for in the flame?

This is the first year for us in the house with an older Jotul Oslo F500 so I have yet to get a thermometer to gauge the temperature and other fun things like an eco fan etc., ( do they really work?)

Thanks

One of the magnetic thermometers is all you need. It goes on the stove top back right corner. But before the season gets going go over the stove and chimney to determine the condition. Clean it all down and look for cracks. Like all stoves they will be damaged by overfiring. Starting up with the ash pan door open is a one of the ways to overfire this stove. Door and ash pan gaskets need to be tight.

As to the flame, you will know. You need a few reloads to get the stove going. A bed of coals makes restarts easy. I run 300 -500 F Mostly cruise at 250 - 300, as that's all I need to keep the house comfortable.

Good luck, It's one the best stoves. Mine is 22 seasons old, and it as good today as day one.

One of the magnetic thermometers is all you need. It goes on the stove top back right corner. But before the season gets going go over the stove and chimney to determine the condition. Clean it all down and look for cracks. Like all stoves they will be damaged by overfiring. Starting up with the ash pan door open is a one of the ways to overfire this stove. Door and ash pan gaskets need to be tight.

As to the flame, you will know. You need a few reloads to get the stove going. A bed of coals makes restarts easy. I run 300 -500 F Mostly cruise at 250 - 300, as that's all I need to keep the house comfortable.

Good luck, It's one the best stoves. Mine is 22 seasons old, and it as good today as day one.
Thanks for this. I had the stove inspected and cleaned before the season started. The previous owner did over fire the stove at some point, I expect by doing exactly what you said - cracking the ash pan door to get things started. He probably forgot about it and the cast grate on the stove floor got so hot it actually warped ( it is an arch now about 1.5 " high). I've ordered a new one. The air burners and vermiculite plate above them seem ok as does the rest of the stove. Everything appears tight.

So after I get the stove started and have that bed of coals, I let it get to a good temperature and then close dow the air vent to 1/4, ( I completely close it at night. This morning I threw in some birch bark and basswood kindling to get it going again, heat up, close it down etc. Is there a time during the day when I should open that stove up again or can I just keep the air vent closed down or at 1/4 all the time ?
-unless I want to heat things up of course.

Before lighting the first fire, take a damp rag and clean the firebox floor for inspection. Look for any hairline cracks starting in the corners of the grate well. This is what you are looking for.

Jotul base crack2.jpg

Oh, ok. I didn't think you were burning regularly due to the warped grate. You can leave the air control at 1/4 or closed as the fire burns down, unless you want to burn up the coal bed quicker before reloading. If so, open it up a bit then.

Oh, ok. I didn't think you were burning regularly due to the warped grate. You can leave the air control at 1/4 or closed as the fire burns down, unless you want to burn up the coal bed quicker before reloading. If so, open it up a bit then.
Thanks. I was told burning with the warped grate was fine. It's just a bit of a pain trying to start a fire on it.