Floor vents for drop ceiling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormPanic

Oct 16, 2012
Merrimack Valley, MA
Looking to install some floor vents to gets try to increase the amount of heat I get upstairs from my stove. Ceiling above my stove is a drop ceiling. Suggestions?

Before you cut, check with your town hall. This is against code in most cities.

Before you cut, check with your town hall. This is against code in most cities.
Do you have a reference for that? Is it the building code, fire code, mechanical code?

I cut my wood oak floor to put in a register, back then had a woodstove in the basement it was over 100+ degree's down there, it was a 9x13" register and it did NOTHING!!
Unless you can run a fan in it....Dont do it!!!

I cut my wood oak floor to put in a register, back then had a woodstove in the basement it was over 100+ degree's down there, it was a 9x13" register and it did NOTHING!!
Unless you can run a fan in it....Dont do it!!!

I put an inline fan in the 6" ductwork from Home Depot and it works super!

King, was there a return duct installed?

Please check local code. This is for your own safety.

Adding "Holes" to lower levels allow flames/fire to pass through. .

Before there was forced air heating most 2 story farmhouses were heated by vent cut into floor. These vents were large (1'x1' or 1'x3') and there was few of them, simple physics, heat rises. If its cooler upstairs the heat will rise. I would say the size of the vent 9 x 13 is probably to small to have an effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.