Flue pipe replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

awicherr

Sep 5, 2020
Ohio
Replacing the flew pipe when i moved in it was a 6" coupling to a 6" -8" adaptor then 8" to the chimney... i am getting rid of the damper i dont burn coal so i dont need it thinking of going 6" to 8" adaptor 8" pipe to the chimney... my thought better draft my hotblas1557 m that was in the house when i moved in eats wood no matter what in time will be getting an owb but for now this is holding me over

20210910_192649.jpg 20210910_192642.jpg

In the pictures, the damper is closed. Why not just leave the damper in the open position? There will be little restriction then.

In the pictures, the damper is closed. Why not just leave the damper in the open position? There will be little restriction then.
Because its summer and I'm not burning hence why i said i am getting rid of the damper only thing the damper is good for is if your burn coal i run mine wide open when i burn

I use a damper all the time for wood. It’s not just for coal.

So what’s the problem? You think the stove pipe just needs replacement because it’s rusty?

Reactions: salecker
Yup, if you have a tall chimney and leave that damper open all the time you are blowing BTU's up the stack unnecessarily.

Well its replaced ... did install a new damper ... and to answer the question of why replace it i stuck my broom through it cleaning the cobwebs off to get ready to start burning scraped sweep and new fire brick

20210918_171254.jpg

Reactions: Highbeam