Flue probe Height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
here is a different scenario.

Your flugard says "too cool" right there. Seems pretty obvious.

When you read about what people say about flue temps you will notice that they often forget to mention whether they are talking about surface temps or internal temperatures which we know causes a discrepancy of 2x.

It is only logical to understand that you don't want flue temps below the condensation point of water anywhere in your flue system. What do you think will happen to all of that water and smoke juice?

well like i said, i did a quick check up last weekend and everything looks in order. for me the stove is working as advertised. a side, that is easier send heat up the flue, the stove always sending more heat inside the house with not big change in flue temp. for me that is efficiency as manufacture claim.
i believe there is one of the members here that has two ashford and he claim to run them almost close and running the fan without burn time affected much. Others mentioned that cut burn time in half and i have my on experience about it. you know, it is hard to say that everybody will have the same experience cause this is what happened to me.

Last edited:
Another thing I've noticed is that a fine layer of soot will cover the probe and make the gauge less responsive and read a little lower. I usually wipe mine off every other week or so. The difference is very noticeable.

Another thing I've noticed is that a fine layer of soot will cover the probe and make the gauge less responsive and read a little lower. I usually wipe mine off every other week or so. The difference is very noticeable.

I have a little bit of an odd habit. I like to pull that probe out and check the color. At least every day. It's like a spark plug to tell you if your burning clean. You want a nice tan or lighter. I've also scraped off the probe of both the flue meter and the cat meter, it's copper looking under the soot, not hard to do with a key.

Maybe I'll check mine tomorrow. I wiped it off this afternoon and the temp has been between 400-650 since about 4:30 this afternoon.

Just pulled mine and checked and it had a very light tan color to it.