Flue temperatures.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds about right. That is where we run too.

Probe on the flue.

oldspark said:
"I have also learned to run my woodstove based on the flue temp . . . and in fact rely on this temp more often than my woodstove temp when I’m opening or closing the air control."
Was not that long ago I was told I was an idiot for running my stove that way.

Guess we're idiots together Old Spark! ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
oldspark said:
"I have also learned to run my woodstove based on the flue temp . . . and in fact rely on this temp more often than my woodstove temp when I’m opening or closing the air control."
Was not that long ago I was told I was an idiot for running my stove that way.

Guess we're idiots together Old Spark! ;) :)
Cool nice to have company, I was even told in a PM I was giving wrong information to new comers on the site, oh well I like watching both but have a IR tester to verify how far off they are and the one I have is fine until it gets above 550 degrees or so. Can't wait to try out the new chimney this fall.

I'm an idiot too. Since adding the probe meter, the stove top is only used for when things get really hot.

Somebody actually PM'd you to shut up? That's too bad. Everybody's opinion counts, especially when they can explain why they think the way they think.

Yea I still have the PM for a rainy day, I think he sortta changed his mind when he started seeing posts from others stating they were using flue temperatures also.

Is there an off the shelf digital thermometer for measuring flue temps remotely, say about 8 feet from the flue? I have been looking for one using a thermocouple since my flue is out of sight for the most part in my hearth mounted installation. I would like to measure it internally at the level of the smoke box in the former fire place.

The Idiot Club: Founding Members -- OldSpark, Firefighterjake and Highbeam. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
The Idiot Club: Founding Members -- OldSpark, Firefighterjake and Highbeam. ;) :)

I guess although I am not a founding member, I am an associate member.

Shawn

I don't know whether or not you are idiots, but experience allows extrapolation in that you know roughly what is going on by your flue temp data point. It is not something you could have done as a newbie. Flue temp tells you what is going on in the stove right now, less the lag induced by your sensor, and stove temps will follow whatever the trend is in the flue temps sooner or later based on the thermal mass of your stove.

Milt said:
I don't know whether or not you are idiots, but experience allows extrapolation in that you know roughly what is going on by your flue temp data point. It is not something you could have done as a newbie. Flue temp tells you what is going on in the stove right now, less the lag induced by your sensor, and stove temps will follow whatever the trend is in the flue temps sooner or later based on the thermal mass of your stove.

Sounds good . . . but I really am an idiot . . . my wife tells me this all the time . . . usually after I've done something completely moronic. ;) :)

Milt said:
Several people (some fairly new to wood burning) had not even considered tracking flue temps, the stove top temp monitoring was all they thought was necessary (could be) and they had no idea or cared what the flue temps were at any point. After burning wood for over 30 years I was very confused at this point of view. Now I know there are several people that keep an eye on flue tems and I feel better. :lol:

Very soon I'm going to start my own idiot club and drill a hole down through the top of the soapstone to monitor the internal stove temps near the cat. That way I'll have 3 different things to watch and make this stove even more complicated to run. :lol:

I don't know why you non cat guys don't do this, then you could see when is't a good time to back down once you reach that 1100 degree secondary burn temp. I'd be curious to see what kind of temps are raging inside a non cat fire box. Any takers?

Milt said:
Is there an off the shelf digital thermometer for measuring flue temps remotely, say about 8 feet from the flue? I have been looking for one using a thermocouple since my flue is out of sight for the most part in my hearth mounted installation. I would like to measure it internally at the level of the smoke box in the former fire place.

Surprisingly there is not a off the shelf turn key digital thermometer for measuring stove flue temps that is reasonably priced.

I have built several different versions using for the most part off the shelf components. Both my stoves have flue and stove top temp/alarms. The thermocouple wire can be extended pretty much as far as required. The one on the pic has a magnetic mount probe but a insertion type could also be used.

For me I really like being able to monitor flue temps and stove top temps, also the the alarm feature greatly reduces the chance of over firing. No one here ever does that, right? :red:

Attachments

• Picture 202.jpg
    Picture 202.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 188
Todd said:
Very soon I'm going to start my own idiot club and drill a hole down through the top of the soapstone to monitor the internal stove temps near the cat....

The Atlanta Stove AC5 has that with thermometer. Since it is twenty some years old, I can no longer read the numbers. The pointer on the dial goes around good. My cat runs about two thirds the way round the dial. You heard it here first.

I was in the idiot club and din evn know it. My wife says she knew.

Todd said:
I don't know why you non cat guys don't do this, then you could see when is't a good time to back down once you reach that 1100 degree secondary burn temp. I'd be curious to see what kind of temps are raging inside a non cat fire box. Any takers?

When I decide to go drilling holes in the 30 I will get back to you. May be awhile. :)

ETA: They put something on the 30 to tell you when secondary starts. They call it the glass in the door. Personally I think the secondary burn light show is highly over rated. Got over messing with that after the first season and the house stays warm and there isn't any crap in the chimney.

Brother Bart is taking the fun out of it for us tech weenies. :coolmad:

I was sort of hoping to find some way of getting around having to ask my other half to lean forward so I could shoot the connector pipe with the IR gun. She hasn't told me to get off my butt and walk over there yet, but I recogize the beginnings of "the Look." It is coming, just a matter of time....

Thanks Wes999, I have a Fluke meter with a thermocouple adaptor and a few High Temp type K's around someplace. I will have to dig them out.

BrotherBart said:
Todd said:

When I decide to go drilling holes in the 30 I will get back to you. May be awhile. :)

ETA: They put something on the 30 to tell you when secondary starts. They call it the glass in the door. Personally I think the secondary burn light show is highly over rated. Got over messing with that after the first season and the house stays warm and there isn't any crap in the chimney.

I think as hearth.com Administrator you owe it to all of us to drill holes all over that 30 to give us every bit of info you can. :lol:

Todd said:
I think as hearth.com Administrator you owe it to all of us to drill holes all over that 30 to give us every bit of info you can. :lol:

Can't do it but will email you a coupon good for 10% off of your membership renewal. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.