For you BKK owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
I talked to my closest dealer today, looking for some prices. I was looking for a Princess insert or stove, or a Chinook. Then he gives me a screamin' price on a King Ultra. I was afraid that would be overkill, but the low output numbers between the King and the smaller stoves are pretty close. I've got about 1600 sq ft., but a little over 1000 of that is wide open living room/dining room/kitchen. Then it's a short hallway to the bedrooms and bathrooms. It's not so well insulated 2x4 walls, and 8-10 inches blown into the attic. It would be a new install, so the 8" pipe isn't a deal breaker. Does the thermostat work that well? Would I be able to cut it back enough that we wouldn't get cooked most of the time?

$2450+ tax, by the way ;-). I might just buy it for the future, anyway.

I paid 3,200 with tax(8%) last Oct. for the King Classic.
The stove will cruise real low if you want.. 30 hour burn times in the shoulder season are not uncommon..buy it,you won't be sorry!

jeff_t said:

PM me the dealer you contacted, I called around a while back and everyone in this state was out of their minds! How was the stove optioned?

rdust said:
jeff_t said:

PM me the dealer you contacted, I called around a while back and everyone in this state was out of their minds! How was the stove optioned?

Haha. I'll let you know after I've got one in my garage. They had two in stock for that price.

jeff_t said:
Haha. I'll let you know after I've got one in my garage. They had two in stock for that price.

I'm not looking for a king, a Princess Ultra is what I'm looking for. :) I have a 6" chimney and a king would take up too much room in my family room. Even with the Princess I'll be giving up more than I do with the Endeavor. We don't have many dealers around here so I can figure it out easy enough. :lol:

We have ours in a similar sized room and burn full loads every load 24/7 late September through May. This is a load from a few weeks ago and pretty typical. It has exceptional burn control if the wood is DRY and you have good draft.

Attachments

• 032811 junk load.jpg
    032811 junk load.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 637
I have the King. still burning,
Getting 2 days worth of heat with a full load. House staying 70- 75.
I let it burn out & start a new fire every other night. Just burning spruce.
Have had to open the windows a few times if it gets into the 50s with sun.
30s nights now so will be done burning soon I hope.
With the new double wall pipe I put in I am able to burn on lower settings & not overheat the house. Better
range of heat (Low & High output) & no trouble when it gets -10°f with wind.
Just a learning curve to learn to operate it. Each set up is different.

Attachments

• 7DAY.490x325.jpg
    7DAY.490x325.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 592
Guess I'm in a wait-and-see pattern right now. If they still have one Friday, I'm gonna go get it. If I do end up moving, and I can't use it in my new place, I'm sure I'll be able to get my money back out of it come fall.

What city are you in?

You will not cook yourself out of the house.

The T stat works great.

Not a bad price for the package. I don't think this stove will be to much for your house as you describe it. Good stove - let us know what you decide.

Good luck,
Bill

Hiram Maxim said:
What city are you in?

The T stat works great.

Hiram, what stove did you settle on using mostly this winter. The B/K or the NC30? Did you ever have both at once burning?

BeGreen said:
Hiram Maxim said:
What city are you in?

The T stat works great.

Hiram, what stove did you settle on using mostly this winter. The B/K or the NC30? Did you ever have both at once burning?

BG,
I used the BK 99% of the time.
I did fire up both when it was around zero but it was way to much heat.

A dumb question perhaps/ but which stove throws the most heat,and could the BK not keep up on its own at zero. Thanks

ohlongarm said:
A dumb question perhaps/ but which stove throws the most heat,and could the BK not keep up on its own at zero. Thanks
The BK has no problem at zero....
Infact I never really need to run it very hard.

It was more of a "let's see what will happen?"

It was so hot in the house that I will never try that again.
Two totally different types of heat. Both stoves will heat the house just fine.

The BK is more efficient , more controllable, and takes less effort, as it is set n forget.

Hiram Maxim said:
The BK is more efficient , more controllable, and takes less effort, as it is set n forget.

Well where is the fun in that?

The biggie you did was the Fort Knox tightening and insulating in that place. Four candles and one dog's breath would heat that place now. Perfect place for a stove that will go low and slow like the BK.

Now get off the dime and send that 30 down here for my basement. :coolsmirk:

My neighbor has a Englander 30 and it's a real nice well made stove,BUT it does have an insatiable appetite for wood ,as he's told me. Any take on that from any of you. Thanks

ohlongarm said:
My neighbor has a Englander 30 and it's a real nice well made stove,BUT it does have an insatiable appetite for wood ,as he's told me. Any take on that from any of you. Thanks

Throw it away it must just be a piece of junk....In fact I think BB said he would take it just so no one else would have to deal with it......

jeff_t said:
Guess I'm in a wait-and-see pattern right now. If they still have one Friday, I'm gonna go get it. If I do end up moving, and I can't use it in my new place, I'm sure I'll be able to get my money back out of it come fall.

So, I called all afternoon and got no answer. :mad:

BrotherBart said:
Hiram Maxim said:

Well where is the fun in that?

The biggie you did was the Fort Knox tightening and insulating in that place. Four candles and one dog's breath would heat that place now. Perfect place for a stove that will go low and slow like the BK.

Now get off the dime and send that 30 down here for my basement. :coolsmirk:

BB,

I wish it was that tight....

While the improvements have made an amazing difference I still have lots ta do! ;-)

30 is the back up! Plus I dont think the dog would ever forgive me. I must admit I have lit the stove a few times just for him.

But yeah, the BK is a perfect fit for my application.
Hope all is well, Hiram.

Hiram Maxim said:
30 is the back up! Plus I dont think the dog would ever forgive me. I must admit I have lit the stove a few times just for him.

Haha, now I don't feel so silly about putting the AC in the window earlier than I normally would have because the cats couldn't take the spring heat last year! :p
whenever it's about 80 in here they just turn in to a fuzzy pile of mush on the floor and don't do anything.

Did you get a price for the Chinook?
I'm currently shopping around for one myself.
I think a King will be way too much for me (800sq/ft, gutted last/this year, went insane with insulation and windows/doors), going to go with a Chinook I think!

A princess would be perfect..just sayin'. lol.

Got ahold of them today and put a deposit on it. Change that :mad: to a :coolsmile: .

Chinook was a little over $4k, Princess around $3600. They have another King at $2450, said he had to order a door for it. Storey Stone in Jackson, MI.

jeff_t said:
Got ahold of them today and put a deposit on it. Change that :mad: to a :coolsmile: .

Chinook was a little over $4k, Princess around $3600. They have another King at $2450, said he had to order a door forqy it. Storey Stone in Jackson, MI.
when I called them a few years ago they wanted $3300.00 for the king.

Hiram Maxim said:
jeff_t said:

Chinook was a little over $4k, Princess around $3600. They have another King at $2450, said he had to order a door forqy it. Storey Stone in Jackson, MI.
when I called them a few years ago they wanted $3300.00 for the king.

He said they're a little dusty, so I'm assuming it's an end of season deal. The Princess and Chinook they don't have in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.