found black locust on CL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zmender

Feeling the Heat
Dec 27, 2021
CT
I'm a first year stove burner and getting down to the last week worth of dry wood. All I have remaining are about 1.5 cords of same year hardwood (20~25% MC) and lots of biobricks. So I look around to see if there's any good seasoned wood on CL, and found some dude selling cord of 2 years dried (oct / nov 2020) black locust split to 4in splits on CL for $350 per cord.

I'm in CT where I got my previous batch for $300 per cord, on CL seasoned goes for around $250-300, so the $350 is definitely a premium.

I'm also worried about the 4in split size since I prefer to burn larger sized for over nights, and worry 4in hard wood will over-fire if I stuff the stove full of it.

What are you guys thoughts?

Supply and demand. If you need it right now, $350 is not an outrageous price. Where I am I generally pay about $210 per cord, hardwood. But I'd pay $275 if I had to have heat.

Sorry I wasn't being too clear.

I can find normal hardwood (oaks and ash) for 250-300, or I can splurge for black locust for an extra $50~$100.. do you think the extra is worth it to get the premium wood?

Hello -- I am also from CT and have been burning black locust primarily for about 10 years now. Short answer

2 year for $350 does not seem overly high for one of the best firewood's.

4" risk of over fire --- not a high risk just load less & monitor the air setting.

One final thought -- is the wood barkless -- as you know that stuff is thick and a pain.

Reactions: all night moe
I'm a first year stove burner and getting down to the last week worth of dry wood. All I have remaining are about 1.5 cords of same year hardwood (20~25% MC) and lots of biobricks. So I look around to see if there's any good seasoned wood on CL, and found some dude selling cord of 2 years dried (oct / nov 2020) black locust split to 4in splits on CL for $350 per cord.

I'm in CT where I got my previous batch for $300 per cord, on CL seasoned goes for around $250-300, so the $350 is definitely a premium.

I'm also worried about the 4in split size since I prefer to burn larger sized for over nights, and worry 4in hard wood will over-fire if I stuff the stove full of it.

What are you guys thoughts?
Delivered?

I would take oak, but not ash over locust.

@gzecc yes, delivered.

Thanks y'all, I'll see if I can get 2 cords at a discount, otherwise I'll get at least a cord some of this good stuff once the roads clear up from our current storm.

Take your splitter axe and a moisture meter with you to check... (And add 3 percent or so for the temperature.)

Gives you negotiating power if it's not as good...

Mix the locust with some other wood. I think its best that way.

Reactions: bigealta
Btu to btu wise, black locust is 23.2 million per cord, oak ranges from ~24 (white) to 22 (red), and Ash is around 21 (green) - 21.5 (white). So in the absolute worst case, there would be about a 10% premium in btus for black locust over green ash. White oak would be the 'king'. Red oak is in the middle. So I could see 10, 20 or 30 bucks difference between all three, but not 50-100.

But you are saying 'truly' dry locust vs fresh/green oak? That would be where the premium is. Wood that is truly dry and ready to burn would likely carry a premium over fresh cut or even the typically 'seasoned' wood which is offered.

Truly dry, that's what you are paying for. Hence the moisture meter recommendation.

Yes at 20% it is truly seasoned. Even 22ish is still worth it. Like stoveliker said, bring your meter and small axe to check the center of MC.
Or ask the seller to crack open a piece in front of you. Locust is king. Right up there with oaks, and hickory with beech trailing in just under those. So, yes it's a premium and at this time of year, a double premium.

Like said, mix a little others in with your burns. I don't know your setup or sq footage but, a cord mixed in your burns, will get you through Feb. 2 cord will get you that much further. If you can find ash, cherry, or maple that's been split and not fully seasoned, stand some up along side your stove if you have the room. Obviously not to close. These species will become drier to burn rather quickly. I have been doing just that. I have a cord and a half seasoned and the stuff I'm drying will help push me through to spring.

Tested a couple splits, between 13%~16% MC. Took delivery for half cord today and will get next half next few days.

Test fired couple splits and wow, it's amazing burning dry logs. Catches flame without drama, no cooling down stove for an hour, and just straight heat, heat, heat.

This is amazing.

Those logs are heavy. I'm a pretty dedicated lifter and usually carries an "armful" of splits without any issues. But for volume, these splits are seriously heavy. I can carry about 5 of those 4, 5in splits before my back starts screaming.

Tested a couple splits, between 13%~16% MC. Took delivery for half cord today and will get next half next few days.

Test fired couple splits and wow, it's amazing burning dry logs. Catches flame without drama, no cooling down stove for an hour, and just straight heat, heat, heat.

This is amazing.
Glad you got what you paid for, which is often not the case with buying firewood. Black locust is a great firewood, I got a ton this year from two different tree services who dumped it at my house.