Franklin fireplace stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleAnthony

Jan 19, 2009
Southern Maine
During the ice storm of December we tried to use our Franklin fireplace. Used two Enviro logs and shut the door. During the night carbon monoxide detectors went off so hurriedly unloaded the stove and shut it down...

In the morning there were black streaks between the brick wall and the mantle and the outside of the Franklin door. We would like to use this thing in emergencies but don't know what the best way to go is..Take the franklin out and have it all redone? Can it be fixed? get some other kind of insert? We are heating with a pellet stove but would like another option in the event of black out. Any suggestions?

If the answer is a chimney company can someone recommend someone who really knows their business here in southern Maine?

Get a power generator if you already have a pellet stove. I am not up to date on the power usage of pellet stoves but you could look into buying a UPS backup battery system for it for short power outages.

Have a chimney sweep come out and check your chimney, sounds like it might be clogged.

I don't have any answer for you, but you may want to check out the following websites . . . I know my sweep became certified by the CSIA . . . to me it shows a level of commitment and training beyond Joe Blow buying a brush one day and deciding he is now a professional chimney sweep.

Chimney Safety Institute of America Certified Chimney Sweep:

http://www.csia.org/

National Chimney Sweep Guild:

http://www.ncsg.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.