Free standing stove or insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdNH

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2009
Southern, NH
Im trying to decide weather I want to put a free standing wood stove inside my fireplace with no surround or an insert with a surround.

I was hoping you guys could give me some pictures of your wood stoves inside your fireplaces or your woodstove inserts to convince me which way to go. If I go with an insert im leaning towards a hearthstone clydsdale as i love the large viewing window, its pricy tho.

attached is a picture of my hearth.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_20110830_080036.jpg
    Copy of IMG_20110830_080036.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 1,133
Nice Hearth. With the rounded top of your hearth I think you might have a tough time finding a surround panel for the insert that will accomodate the arch. (Love your setup) If I were you, I would go with a freestanding stove, as it looks like you have plenty of clearance for one...might need to place it half way in or more to meet the 18" clearance for the front of the stove.
Also, a plus on having a stove vs an insert, is that the insert will need a blower, and this can be tough when the power goes out.
I have an insert, and although I love it, if I had the size of the hearth and clearance you do, I would go with a freestanding model.
Again, just my opinion. Good luck

That's beautiful, I would think a hearth stove (not IN fireplace but on hearth in front.) A Jotul on the hearth would be really pretty.
Or, you could put an insert into the fireplace and either leave the surround off completely (I have a thread on here with a whole bunch of pics of this) or have the surround custom-cut to fit inside that pretty arch.

Yah, great setup. I would def put a free standing stove in there. I think it'd look great and be an easier job.

On the homepage there is a members' gallery w tons of pics to view. Best of luck.

tickbitty said:
That's beautiful, I would think a hearth stove (not IN fireplace but on hearth in front.) A Jotul on the hearth would be really pretty.
Or, you could put an insert into the fireplace and either leave the surround off completely (I have a thread on here with a whole bunch of pics of this) or have the surround custom-cut to fit inside that pretty arch.

+1, I totally agree. The brickwork is too nice to cover up, let it be seen. Place a stove on the hearth and enjoy both.

With that size fireplace, i would think a hearthmount stove. It depends if you are going for looks, or serious heating. If you are getting into serious heating, i would get a hearthmount stove. I went with an insert because a free standing would have required some serious mods i didnt want to get into. That being said, there are some very nice looking free standing stoves that will look like a piece of furniture, just wont look integrated into the fireplace.

Thanks for the comments guys,

The other issue with a completely freestanding stove is the layout of the room, its long and narrow, so I don’t want it to protrude past the hearth and I really don’t want to extend the hearth or mess with the wood flooring. The most I would be willing to do is put down some sort of hearth pad over the wood floor. In leaning towards putting a freestanding stove in the opening if it will fit nicely. Im going for both looks and for heating although i dont think I will need major heat because its going to too be tough to get it upstairs as the heat will have to do a 180 and go through two door openings and then up a stairwell. If i can heat the first floor (about 1100 sq feet) I will be a happy camper.

ColdNH said:

The other issue with a completely freestanding stove is the layout of the room, its long and narrow, so I don’t want it to protrude past the hearth and I really don’t want to extend the hearth or mess with the wood flooring. The most I would be willing to do is put down some sort of hearth pad over the wood floor. In leaning towards putting a freestanding stove in the opening if it will fit nicely. Im going for both looks and for heating although i dont think I will need major heat because its going to too be tough to get it upstairs as the heat will have to do a 180 and go through two door openings and then up a stairwell. If i can heat the first floor (about 1100 sq feet) I will be a happy camper.

How deep and tall is the fireplace? How deep is the hearth?

another consideration would be hearth protection from where the stove would finally sit.

without being home to measure, counting bricks in the photo,

roughly 32" deep (including the hearth)
36" high (at the low point of the arch)
46"ish high (at the highpoint of arch)
32" wide at the front of the fireplace
24" wide at the back at the back of the fireplace.

BrowningBAR said:
ColdNH said:

BrowningBAR said:
ColdNH said:

I don't think a hearth stove would extend beyond the present hearth, and you could just put a hearth pad on the floor in front for your ember protection. But if you want to put it inside there are a bunch of images of inserts (sans surround) here; https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50201/P22/

Is this an interior or exterior chimney?
If exterior masonry...i.e. "icebox", I might want to insulate the firebox area, which would lead to hiding it behind a surround.
Otherwise, I agree with the free-standing votes. Very much.

Oh...the mantle. If an Oslo, (or similar), it would probably be too close.

Its an interior chimney.

Mantle too close! how much clearance do those things need!
granpajohn said:
Is this an interior or exterior chimney?
If exterior masonry...i.e. "icebox", I might want to insulate the firebox area, which would lead to hiding it behind a surround.
Otherwise, I agree with the free-standing votes. Very much.

Oh...the mantle. If an Oslo, (or similar), it would probably be too close.

ColdNH said:
Its an interior chimney.

Looks like 30" from stove to mantle. The stove is about 29" itself, so close to 5 foot from the hearth.

The mantle thing was sort of a deal breaker for my setup. I say sort of because I could have removed it or switched it to non-combustible, or shielded maybe...but boss didn't want to and I kind of didn't either.

I'm using data from Jotul manual about 5 years old, so don't be afraid to double check.

ETA: That is for a stove fully out on the hearth. Halfway into the fireplace would probably be better.
Just counting bricks, it looks like your mantle is about 48" off the hearth. Your whole setup looks real nice to my eye...I would shield that mantle and keep it.

Cool looking hearth. I'd stick a Woodstock stove in there, you only need 8" out front because it's a side loader and you can also subtract the height of the hearth off of that. Looking at your picture you may be able to sit a Woodstock about 4" from the edge and not have to extend it at all.

I agree with the general sentiments here. A free standing stove is going to put more heat into the house and will do that in a power outage. With that beautiful hearth and arch it would be a shame to cover it up. Instead a freestanding stove will accentuate it. The arched window of the Keystone or Palladian would echo the arched form.

I'm voting for the insert since I think it would sit deeper into the firebox and leave more of the hearth brick revealed. There's not a lot of brick out front so I don't think it can sit all that much out there without additional protection. I count 8" brick in front with maybe another 8" (or less) brick behind it up to the facing. A stove sitting out in front would require addition protection. An insert may also require protection but since I don't have exact measurements cant tell.

You could install an insert and then mask the liner with a simple piece of black pipe wrapped around just for appearance, that way you could avoid using the plain paneling kits that most inserts use, also you would preserve your arched firebox but still have the flat top insert. You could also have custom panels made to exactly fit your opening too.

Much of your decision will have to come from what's there in terms of masonry and to what extent you want to modify that in order to fit the stove you want.

good luck

steve

My Oslo heats my home said:
tickbitty said:

+1, I totally agree. The brickwork is too nice to cover up, let it be seen. Place a stove on the hearth and enjoy both.

This. No doubt about it!

more official numbers, i was close kinda

35" deep, 18" hearth
32" high at the high point of arch, 24" at the low sides.
34" wide at the front of the fireplace
mantal is 51" off the hearth.

oh and its 30 dgrees, snowing out and accumulating, i need a stove!

ColdNH said:
without being home to measure, counting bricks in the photo,

roughly 32" deep (including the hearth)
36" high (at the low point of the arch)
46"ish high (at the highpoint of arch)
32" wide at the front of the fireplace

BrowningBAR said:
ColdNH said:

You can fit pretty much any stove in that hole.Even if it is tucked back in you will still get more heat out of a stove than an insert.If you can put a stove in there and still have 16'' out front why mess up a good looking hearth.

I know I like the look of a free standing in the fireplace..

granpajohn said:
ColdNH said:
Its an interior chimney.

Looks like 30" from stove to mantle. The stove is about 29" itself, so close to 5 foot from the hearth.

The mantle thing was sort of a deal breaker for my setup. I say sort of because I could have removed it or switched it to non-combustible, or shielded maybe...but boss didn't want to and I kind of didn't either.

I'm using data from Jotul manual about 5 years old, so don't be afraid to double check.

ETA: That is for a stove fully out on the hearth. Halfway into the fireplace would probably be better.
Just counting bricks, it looks like your mantle is about 48" off the hearth. Your whole setup looks real nice to my eye...I would shield that mantle and keep it.

+1, looking at current Jotul numbers shows 30" from stovetop to mantel, stove is 29" . Nothing over 12" wide.

My vote is free standing stove!

Bill

JeffT said:
You can fit pretty much any stove in that hole.Even if it is tucked back in you will still get more heat out of a stove than an insert.If you can put a stove in there and still have 16'' out front why mess up a good looking hearth.

Not to hijack the thread, (and I am all for a hearth stove in this case too) But...
Just curious, but why does everyone always say that you will get more heat out of a stove than an insert, even if the stove is all the way in the hole of the fireplace? Seems to me, that if the stove is mostly inside the fireplace, it IS an insert, is it not? And most inserts, well mine anyway, is pretty much the same as a similar model stove (the Lopi Endeavor) but it doesn't have legs. What it DOES have is a jacket on the part of the stove that is furthest back in the fireplace, so the heat isn't just heating up the inside of the chimney, and blowers on the front, to put the heat out front. I love freestanding stoves and all, but wonder why inserts are supposedly "inferior" for heating even when compared to a stove tucked INTO the fireplace. If the firebox is a similar size, I imagine the heat would be the same. Now, if the stove is truly freestanding and not in the chimney, I would just assume there is more heat opportunity there. Sorry to be so long winded!

here's a few images for thought!

jotul3_fp1.jpg

Jotul-F3-Wood-Stove-installed-in-New-Hampshire-Fireplace-300x224.jpg

(nice, but went a little nuts with the mantel shield IMO)

AAAAAkZRdg8AAAAAAGK8Iw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.