Frigid Temps ~~ What was your overnight low?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gyrfalcon said:
iceman said:
Last night -10 tonight. -10 to -25 wc -20 to -40
This morning house was 81 downstairs and 77 upstairs coldest bedroom was 70
Thank god for fans lol!

I think you've chosen the wrong handle, Iceman.

Each to his/her own, of course, but ugh! I would find that much heat absolutely stifling and would be throwing open doors and windows to get relief.

It does get bad but remember, 80 with low humidity is a walk in the park.... if I leave the humidifier on to long- whoa!
I am still learning though as I have discovered my pellet stove helps heat the house as well.. I have to learn how to tweak the 2 so they can work together and keep my house about 5 degrees cooler...
Lol

iceman said:
It does get bad but remember, 80 with low humidity is a walk in the park.... if I leave the humidifier on to long- whoa!
I am still learning though as I have discovered my pellet stove helps heat the house as well.. I have to learn how to tweak the 2 so they can work together and keep my house about 5 degrees cooler...
Lol

With low humidity and that temp, my nose would be bleeding!

But seriously, I have to confess I kinda sorta wish I had your problem of figuring out how to cope with too much heat. Lucky for me, actually, that I prefer it cool.

gyrfalcon said:
iceman said:
Lol

But seriously, I have to confess I kinda sorta wish I had your problem of figuring out how to cope with too much heat. Lucky for me, actually, that I prefer it cool.

You gonna be OK, Gyr?

It's cold up there, girlfriend !

Reggie Dunlap said:
Wind chill doesn't count. 20 below and clear here now and dropping like a rock.

Agreed, wind chill doesn't count. It's stabilized here at -10 for the last couple hours, so maybe we won't dive as far as I thought we might.

I notice the little weather station in the village center has it only at about -2. I'm halfway up a ridge and they're in a bit of a dip in the valley so should by all rights be colder, but I guess that's the "urban" effect of a bunch of houses clustered close together.

What part of northern VT are you in, just curiously, NEK?

They are now calling for -13 low tonight as the actual temperature!
That's about the coldest it has been here in a long time - usually we don't get below about -5

I took a long snowshoe in the woods and field today - was actually hot by the time I returned........will do it against tomorrow. It's nice to get some sun and some clear air into the old lungs.....

We might hit zero tonight but last night it got down to three. The house is nice and warm but the diesel won't start-guess I should have replaced those glow plugs after all ;)

I'm in Lamoille county. The cold air will settle into that valley by morning.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
gyrfalcon said:
iceman said:
Lol

You gonna be OK, Gyr?

It's cold up there, girlfriend !

No prob-- and thanks for asking. As I think I said somewhere above, I know when I'm beaten, so caved and bought oil for the boiler for the next few days. (Rather spend the money on something else, but what are you gonna do.) I could tough it out without it, I suppose, just to see what happens, but the pipes likely wouldn't be so forgiving. They do fine in this kind of cold (and worse) with the boiler going full blast down in the cellar, but not so much with the stove providing the only heat on first floor.

We northerners love to brag about how cold it is (and therefore how tough we are), but truthfully, it is inconvenient, to say the least, and expensive either in $$ for oil or labor for feeding the stove. So I'd be perfectly happy to forgo the bragging rights to double-digit negative temperatures. But as long as we've got them, might as well at least amaze the folks to the south, no? I'm amazed at our interior Alaskan and Canadian friends who live with this, and total dark, all winter. That's something I don't think most of us could do, so we're not all that tough after all!

You have my utmost sympathy. If I moved back east to the Berkshires, it would be into a styrofoam igloo. When weather gets that cold I want a house that is designed to take it. Of course that doesn't help when you have to go out. But there are block heaters for that. Now if the could do something about the square tires for the first mile or so...

Reggie Dunlap said:
I'm in Lamoille county. The cold air will settle into that valley by morning.

It sure does. Friend about a mile down the road from me but lower down and in a little dip has AM temperatures as much as 15 degrees lower than mine. Not something I thought about when buying my house, but sure am glad I ended up where I am through dumb luck.

BeGreen said:
You have my utmost sympathy. If I moved back east to the Berkshires, it would be into a styrofoam igloo. When weather gets that cold I want a house that is designed to take it. Of course that doesn't help when you have to go out. But there are block heaters for that. Now if the could do something about the square tires for the first mile or so...

Well, the house is the key, no? One reason I insisted on an old house when i was looking up here. They knew how to build them 200, 100 years ago, heck even 50 years ago, because it was a matter of pure survival, not just extra dough for the oil man. Any house that's been standing and occupied for the last 150 years up here is a good house that can take the cold. Two of my walls are a foot thick, and there's a storeroom and beyond that an attached woodshed on the west side, which blocks the afternoon sun in summer and keeps the house cool. Sited on the southeast side of a low ridge, I'm protected from the worst of the winter winds and get maximum winter sun exposure. Without the option of air-conditioning or oil burners in the cellar, you had to build smart. This is a very, very modest little farmhouse, but boy, did they do it right.

Yeah, the square tires are a pain, but there's no such thing as an utterly troublefree existence anywhere, IMO.

Solar room went from 30deg at 10 am to 80deg at 1 pm today outside temp about 18 ,Warm all day inside as it was sunny. I expect -5 tonight. If you can do solar in this weather it must be good.

we had a temp of -22f this am. the wind kicked up this afternoon and is howling out there now! never did trust wind at night...
i see lots of ice and poor road conditions out east and south and hope all you members drive safe and watch out for the idiots that can't exercise common sense when they are behind the wheel.

basically we are at about -5 and stove temp 400 and room temp 74 - oh now its -8

-17 here and still six hours away from predicted lowest temps.

I don't normally like electric blankets but might consider one under these conditions. Keep the home fires burning and remember to keep the basement above freezing. Maybe open a faucet enough to let it trickle if you have fussy or exterior wall piping to that sink.

-3 when i woke up today at 5 am with wind chill -25

-12 in southern NH at 5am. House was still at 65 and just put a good load of oak in the stove----temperature is a rising inside.

If we can believe the readings, looks like our buddies in the central Adirondacks, places like lake placid+saranac lake are -35f without the windchill right now. yowwie thats down there.

@ 6 am the current temp @ Pembroke, Ontario Canada is -36 C, @ that temp it isn't that much different in Farenheit. Either way, it's FRIGGIN COLD!!!!!!!!

-10 at 6am house still 75 plus in the cold part ....
I been hearing a lot about a new king in town lately, but the summit is a king here! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.