Marshy Posted By Marshy, Oct 4, 2017 at 9:15 AM

1. Marshy

Marshy
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2016
    Loc:
    NY
    Thanks. Yes, probably enough for two chairs but unfortunately it might be kind of boring.

2. TCaldwell

TCaldwell
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2007
    Loc:
    860-868-9014 h 203 948 0864 c nw corner ct.
    That was a trick question, you passed, it means you have a life beyond burning wood, or so I’ve been told!

brenndatomu likes this.
  3. Marshy

Marshy
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2016
    Loc:
    NY
    Ha! If there's enough heat coming off it I might still fall asleep in a chair in front of it while taking off my boots but seems doubtful.

4. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    I was thinking about this when pondering a kuuma furnace in my shop. It would be an extremely functional upgrade but no window to view flames at all. I would have to do something besides stare at the fire!

5. oaksplitter

oaksplitter
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Canadian/US border
    I have similar system and think it awesome. Your in good hands with folks at Tarm, especially if you are a DIY'r like myself.
    iphone 10-2017 all 1944.JPG

Marshy likes this.
  6. Marshy

Marshy
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2016
    Loc:
    NY
    I'm installing my American Solartechnics storage tank and realized I need some temp probes. Any recommendations?

7. Marshy

Marshy
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2016
    Loc:
    NY
    @peakbagger, I read you have a solartechnics tank. Do you recall what temperature elements you used and where I could get some for my tank? Thanks.

@tom in maine, your help is appreciated.

8. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    I use old school honeywell auqastats for my high temp cut off on the tank. That is the style with the sensing bulb attached to the control box with thin copper tube. Old school but it works. To actually see the temp of the tank I just have a thermocouple stuck down the same vent pipe as the sensing bulb hooked up to my fluke.

I did pick up some cheap chinese temperature controler with digital readouts on Ebay that have a fairly large display they will read most types of thermocouples and thermisters i havent gotten around to installing them. I wouldnt trust them to control anything but if the displays work they are cheaper than buying a digital display.

I did have some spare thermocouple wire when I installed the tank and set a thermocouple in the tank wall behind the liner at the bottom middle and top just for the chuckles. They all terminate with thermcouple plugs so I can plug them into the Fluke.

One thing I did do different than ASTs installation is I put dricore under the tank. https://www.homedepot.com/p/DRIcore-7-8-in-x-2-ft-x-2-ft-DRIcore-Subfloor-Panel-CDGNUS750024024/202268752 I just wanted to make sure that air could get underneath if water somehow got in there.

9. Marshy

Marshy
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2016
    Loc:
    NY
    Thanks for the flooring idea. I did happen to think about getting air under the tank to prevent mold in case moisture accumulated. I'll defiantly be getting some of this. I was going to add 2" of ridgid foam board under the tank as well.

10. Marshy

Marshy
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2016
    Loc:
    NY
    Thanks for the advice on the DriCore sub flooring @peakbagger. It installs very quickly, especially in a closet area where you don't need to have to deal with finishing the edges. 14 squares made 7'9" x 6'9" pad for the tank. My "closet" space is 15' x 7'6" so I'll have a 1'3" space against the back wall (far right) to sneak around the tank and also have 1'9" to the back wall (front and center) to hook up plumbing. Plumbing will come straight out of the back of the boiler and through the wall with the 1x2 on it (from and center). The main hydronic header (and my oil boiler) is behind the wall on the far left.
    20171116_123414-756x1008.jpg
    20171116_123344-756x1008.jpg

brenndatomu likes this.