Frustrated finding someone to install liner I want

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate all the moral support and ideas working through the demo process. Good stuff! By the way, I am replacing a 30 yr. old Lopi XL insert. Insurance issues have not arisen. Shop where I bought new PE Summit insert could do liner install but light wall only. However, they will inspect the install to validate warranty for $89.00 As long as bholler and others on this site continue to assist and guide, I have the confidence to start the project.

Liner install questions for Bholler and others:
Received material. Having trouble adding additional photos

rsz_img_1049.jpg IMG_1051.JPG rsz_img_1054.jpg rsz_img_1055.jpg

QUESTIONS:
1. Instructions say leave insulation 6" below crown allowing for expansion. Existing clay liner cut flush with crown. Is there that much expansion and do you cover that exposed insulation edge with anything? Seems something should go there to help weatherproof.
2. Instructions say cut liner 4" above crown. Silicone crown and install top plate. Then install top support clamp pushing against top plate. Then install storm collar. My top plate has a raised center section rising about 1-1 1/2" above rest of top plate. With support clamp in place, the storm collar will not drop and touch top plate even if you clip the square corners of the clamp. Do I have the wrong top plate and should it be flat? If the top edge of the storm collar is sealed with silicone onto the liner per instructions, does it move with the expansion and contraction of liner? What am I missing? Concerned about weather tight install.

It would help to see the top of the chimney. Can you post a picture of it?

The storm collar doesn't need to touch the top plate. Some liner installs don't even have one.

begreen:
Here are two photos

rsz_img_1040.jpg rsz_img_1042.jpg

If the storm collar does not touch the top plate, what keeps water from entering where the liner /insulation come through the existing clay tile liner?
It is my understanding that there is not silicone around where the SS liner comes through the top plate right at the existing crown. What am I missing?

the instructions sound right to me. The top edge of the insulation should be taped with foil tape. then the stainless mesh over that. The top plate should have a flange sticking up that will keep water out no silicone there. Then the top clamp and then the storm collar

Exactly right and this top plate isn't flat. It's sloped away from liner opening and has what looks to be a 1/2" collar flange too.

Status
Not open for further replies.