Gap along Jotul woodstove side door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Frenchman

Mar 17, 2021
France
Greetings from France!

We bought a Jotul F500 Eco last autumn, and it more than fails the dollar bill test.

The top edge of the side door is so far from the stove that we can literally see flames through a gap along the edge.

I haven’t tried the dollar bill itself, but I am pretty sure that we could slide a bill into the gap with the door closed. Here is a video of it:

The local dealer came once already, said it was probably a missing washer, took months to order it and install it. The problem is still there.

While he was adding that washer, he said that even if the gap ends up still being there, it won’t a big problem, implying that he hopes we won’t ask him to continue fixing the problem.

Indeed we have had the fire run wild only once or twice, it doesn’t feel out of control. On the contrary we had had backpuffs twice, before I read this forum and learned about it.

I have read online and on this forum that if the doors are not completely tight, it is a big problem though.

It doesn't seem to be the gasket, it looks fine and is brand new.

Do you confirm that we should demand that they fix the problem? They have been incredibly slow and unhelpful. They took months to come and see by themselves the gap, although we had sent them clear pictures and videos. They then took months to add the washer. They keep arguing that it is not a big problem.

Any hint on how to handle it and what our options are to make them honor their sale would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for this great forum, it has already helped me learn a lot of things!

Probably too late to return the unit but this should have been something that was discovered during installation when reviewing fit and finish. I would have returned it immediately before the first fire. Now, you probably stuck with it. I'd find someone that is more willing to be of service and more helpful.

That is most definitely not right . . . and should be fixed . . . preferably by the shop that sold the stove.

Reactions: D. Hermit
Ce n'est pas acceptable

With that gap the stove is going to burn a lot more wood and be much dirtier. Modern stoves move the air around very carefully and adding air where its not intended will make a big difference.

Reactions: MR. GLO
Have the dealer check the draft and see if it changes when you plug the hole? ....but I would just call Jotul and tell them to fix it or send a new stove...not acceptable if other stoves dont have the same issue. Jotul has not been returning warranty calls lately so good luck...Write them a letter.

Last edited:
Reactions: D. Hermit
maybe you could very carefully cut a piece of gasket to double the thickness and fill the gap?
One should not have to make repairs of this nature to a brand new stove. It would be good to put a straight edge on the door edges to see if it is warped. The dealer should either properly repair the defect or take back the stove.

Thank you all for your swift and very helpful answers.

Now I am confident that I should demand that it be fixed.

Looks like we will need to "show fangs" as we say in French. That is unfortunate.

Huge thanks to all of you!

Probably too late to return the unit but this should have been something that was discovered during installation when reviewing fit and finish. I would have returned it immediately before the first fire. Now, you probably stuck with it. I'd find someone that is more willing to be of service and more helpful.

Thanks for your help! What do you envision another dealer would be able to do? Fix it and charge for it?

With that gap the stove is going to burn a lot more wood and be much dirtier. Modern stoves move the air around very carefully and adding air where its not intended will make a big difference.

Thanks a lot! It is very useful to know the specifics of the impact it will have, since it seems I need to argue with the local reseller.

Have the dealer check the draft and see if it changes when you plug the hole? ....but I would just call Jotul and tell them to fix it or send a new stove...not acceptable if other stoves dont have the same issue. Jotul has not been returning warranty calls lately so good luck...Write them a letter.

That's very good to know, thanks!

One should not have to make repairs of this nature to a brand new stove. It would be good to put a straight edge on the door edges to see if it is warped. The dealer should either properly repair the defect or take back the stove.

That is a very good idea. Even though it is not up to me to fix it, I guess it would make things faster if I can diagnose it myself.

Thanks a lot for your help!

When you say "preferably by the shop that sold the stove", does it mean that another shop could do something?

I mean the folks who sold it to you should make good on it . . . but if you need to go to another shop for a fix then by all means do so.

P.S. My birthday should be pretty easy to remember for you . . . Bastille Day!

Fire box warrantee, return the stove and get a new one through the dealer

Thanks for your help! I tried googling "firebox warranty", but couldn't find much about it. Is it a specific clause of typical stove warranties?
The warranty for manufacturing defects should be in the manual.

Did you place a straight-edge on the stove door and stove body to see if everything is flat and level?

I am awefully sorry for the slow reply. I was waiting to have conducted the test before answering, and I kept forgetting to do it in the mornings when the stove was cooled down.

I did take a look, but the thing is that the door is supposed to be curved, as is the frame that it meets, thus it is difficult to tell which part is off.

However I noticed that at the particular place where the gap is, the gasket is not "pushed" in its center. Everywhere else, one can see that the center of the gasket is pressured inwards, creating a sort of gutter inside the gasket. At that particular point it's not, the gasket is just flat. I don't know whether that hints to a cause though, or whether it's juste the normal consequence of the gap.

I did try to move forward with asking for the stove to be replaced as per the warranty, however my father is hesitant. He is afraid that the dealer will charge us for the transport and time costs associated with the replacement. I called Jotul who said that it's the contract that we passed with the dealer that is decisive in that regard. I looked at what we signed, and there is no mention of such charges.

If anybody has a clue as to whether they could charge us for the replacement, I would be glad to hear it. This is in France though, so different laws might apply.

Thanks again very much to everyone for your help!

I would request Jotul and dealer to send you a new working non defective stove and install. No charges unless you damaged the stove.

I did take a look, but the thing is that the door is supposed to be curved, as is the frame that it meets, thus it is difficult to tell which part is off.
firefighterjake is your side frame curved? I thought it was flat, like the door, but could be mistaken.