Gap along Jotul woodstove side door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
firefighterjake is your side frame curved? I thought it was flat, like the door, but could be mistaken.
I cheeked it for Jake. My V1 Oslo has a slight curve, front to back. Putting a straight edge across, it has about 3/16 bow out in the center. Vertically it's straight,

I assume the washer was the one on top of the stationary hinge. It raises the door the thickness of the washer. But all that needs to happen is, approximately the middle of the door gasket hits the side panel bead.

Is this just a door gasket problem?

Thanks xman.

The dealer already tried to fix it and didnt. Plus you waited months... A new stove should not have that gap or leak that much air. Tell Jotul and the dealer to send a new one. or go to the dealer and see if theirs has the same gap. Has Jotul reached out to you yet or just the dealer? Next they will tell you gaskets are a wear item and its been too long.

But all that needs to happen is, approximately the middle of the door gasket hits the side panel bead.

Is this just a door gasket problem?
I am sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "the middle of the door gasket hits the side panel bead"

The dealer already tried to fix it and didnt. Plus you waited months... A new stove should not have that gap or leak that much air. Tell Jotul and the dealer to send a new one. or go to the dealer and see if theirs has the same gap. Has Jotul reached out to you yet or just the dealer? Next they will tell you gaskets are a wear item and its been too long.
I don't think the dealer would have that same gap. On his first visit after we reported the problem, he did acknowledge that the gap was not normal, though he said it's not a problem.

Jotul hasn't reached out to us. On the contrary, when I tried to call them they said they are not supposed to answer us, they only answer to dealers, and I should only talk with mine.

Try and test the gasket by doing the dollar bill (or Euro) test. When pulling out the bill, is there any tension at all on the bill?

If it falls right through then the dealer is wrong. Ask Jotul to explain to the dealer that air leaks are a problem.

Reactions: MR. GLO
Try and test the gasket by doing the dollar bill (or Euro) test. When pulling out the bill, is there any tension at all on the bill?

If it falls right through then the dealer is wrong. Ask Jotul to explain to the dealer that air leaks are a problem.
Ok I'll conduct that test. I am willing to bet that there won't be any tension at all.

I am sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "the middle of the door gasket hits the side panel bead"

I was explaining what the door closes against. There is a raised metal bead, I'll call it , on the stoves side. When the door is closed the gasket should squarely line up, and seat. For example if the door is sagging it won't line up where it needs to seat.

Reactions: begreen
I was explaining what the door closes against. There is a raised metal bead, I'll call it , on the stoves side. When the door is closed the gasket should squarely line up, and seat. For example if the door is sagging it won't line up where it needs to seat.
Got it

Sorry again for the super slow reaction. I kept forgetting again and again. Finally I left and it's my father who made the video. Here it is, attached. As you can see there doesn't seem to be much resistance.

Thanks again very much for all the help!

Attachments

• IMG_7668.MOV
    16.9 MB
Looks like it needs a new gasket on that door.

Looks like it needs a new gasket on that door.
Thanks for the reply!

I am surprised by this diagnosis. The whole thing is basically new. While it could be a gasket defect, it seems that at the place where it's not tight, the gasket is actually not pushed inwards at all. Everywhere else, the gasket forms a kind of gutter, but not there. I was thinking that on the contrary, it hinted to the gasket not being pressured at all at this point.

Thanks for the reply!

I am surprised by this diagnosis. The whole thing is basically new. While it could be a gasket defect, it seems that at the place where it's not tight, the gasket is actually not pushed inwards at all. Everywhere else, the gasket forms a kind of gutter, but not there. I was thinking that on the contrary, it hinted to the gasket not being pressured at all at this point.
By tearing out the existing gasket, you may find the problem. Also, if this is a new stove, have your dealer take a look at it

By tearing out the existing gasket, you may find the problem. Also, if this is a new stove, have your dealer take a look at it
Ok thanks, I'll try removing the gasket. With regards to the dealer, as I previously mentioned they keep saying that it doesn't matter. They came once already, added a washer and the problem is still there.

Your dealer is apparently useless. Is there another dealer within reasonable distance you can convince to come out for a look/opinion? Any brand dealer at this point if you need another set of eyes on this thing.

while a new gasket might fix it I don’t think it’s the issue. Let’s confirm a couple thing.
1) The latch is fully closing
2) the latch spring is compressed/compressing (is it present?) There is no way to tighten the latch. If the door to stove distance is to large that is an alignment problem or warped parts.

3) confirm door hinge pins are seated and there is not excessive movement of the door up and down when it’s open. It washers only help align the door to knives edge on the stove. And can move the top right corner up or down.

4)confirm that the gasket near the hinge is not keeping the door from closing all the way. Replace gasket might help

as a last resort I would just figure out how to seal the the side door with flat rope gasket and not use it. (They make a side door locking kit). Very small pieces of tape could be used to hold the flat gasket in place while the door is closed and locked out. Tape might smell a bit as it burns off.

You deserve a solution. (And a stove that will not over fire and ruin itself). This is the best I can offer.
Hope it helps.

Evan

Reactions: begreen