Gas conversion help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astingrl

Hearth Supporter
Dec 1, 2007
Central Texas
What a great web site! Thank you.
I have a ventless gas fireplace. And hate it. It looks beautiful but is not at all practical. I am wanting to cap off the gas and use candles in it until I can have a chimey built for a wood burning fireplace. In Austin we only need the fireplace one or two months a year at most. I am having trouble finding information on capping off the gas. Any ideas?

To cap off the gas, simply shut off the emergency shut off valve (that should be located within 4' of the fireplace and has a key) remove the flex line that is attached to the black pipe and buy the correct size cap and install. Make sure you use teflon tape on that connection.

FWIW, when our (Licensed, Master) plumber was changing out our gas hot water heater, and in any of his threaded pipe connections, he uses a layer of teflon tape, and puts "Rector seal" plumbers dope on top of the teflon - says it's the best method that he has found over many years of doing different things to make a reliably leakproof connection....

Not saying it's the only way, but we've never had a connection he made that way leak on us, and I've never had a problem with one that I made after doing it that way.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.