gas fireplace co-linear roof terminal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shannon.ohalloran

Dec 23, 2020
Victoria, BC
Hi,
I have a napoleon IR3-N gas fireplace insert. I does not work well when its windy! is has burnt out 2 pilot light assemblies this year the last one after 1 use. I think the roof terminal may have been installed incorrectly? Can anyone help me out here? I would think that the exhaust should be higher than the intake?
Thanks in advance!

IMG_6322 2.jpg

Hi,
I have a napoleon IR3-N gas fireplace insert. I does not work well when its windy! is has burnt out 2 pilot light assemblies this year the last one after 1 use. I think the roof terminal may have been installed incorrectly? Can anyone help me out here? I would think that the exhaust should be higher than the intake?
Thanks in advance!

View attachment 270201
Yes the intake should be lower than the exhaust

I lit it up and then got up on the roof, the terminal has 2, 3" lines that run up the old masonry chimney to the roof terminal. the exhaust gasses are coming out of the lower pipe indicated in the photograph by the red line. the lower line has a centred vertical baffle and has a horizontal divider from the other line. The other line is approximately 6" higher and and is pretty much open to atmosphere on all sides from the perforations and is indicated by the blue line in the photo.

I lit it up and then got up on the roof, the terminal has 2, 3" lines that run up the old masonry chimney to the roof terminal. the exhaust gasses are coming out of the lower pipe indicated in the photograph by the red line. the lower line has a centred vertical baffle and has a horizontal divider from the other line. The other line is approximately 6" higher and and is pretty much open to atmosphere on all sides from the perforations and is indicated by the blue line in the photo.
Ok that was a simple effective way to find out. And yes that certainly could be the problem

If they are the same diameter it is easier to swap them at the insert end of it. I've seen this a couple of times but never "burnt out a pilot" can you elaborate on that?

You can disconnect them and try to drop a marble or something down one to verify.

If they are the same diameter it is easier to swap them at the insert end of it. I've seen this a couple of times but never "burnt out a pilot" can you elaborate on that?
When it’s very windy the flame appears to be pulled backwards into the bottom of the fire place which has melted the wire that goes to the igniter therefore there is no spark. It can be lit manually and operates fine when it’s not windy. We had a repair technician come and look at it he said the pilot light assembly needed replacing which we got him to do and the first time we used it the wind came up and it behaved in the same manor and now the new igniter doesn’t work, we got the same guy back and he said that the wire has melted again, which made me think about the intake and exhaust being installed incorrectly. So far it’s cost us round $700 in parts and labour for no result. I just need to confirm that the roof cap is installed incorrectly then I will go after the contractor that installed it.

Is this a new install? Did you have one out fit do the entire install?

If the liners are mixed up it's a mistake, they happen. It's them charging you $700 on a new install repair I can't get over.

Reactions: bholler