Gas mixture in my bar oil reservoir

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JimBear

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2017
Iowa
On my Stihl 011 I seem to be getting gas mixture in my bar oil reservoir. Any thoughts from the professionals? And no I didn’t fill the wrong tank.

spill any gas while filling? Its almost impossible for them to mix any other way as they are both sealed and at opposite ends of the saw with no connection between.

spill any gas while filling? Its almost impossible for them to mix any other way as they are both sealed and at opposite ends of the saw with no connection between.
Well I seem to always slop some gas but I always fill the oil first then cap it, then fill the gas. Yesterday when I opened it up to fill it before I started the oil was full & looked super sloshy, so I dumped it & was probably 50%gas, when I checked the fuel tank it was empty. I know I didn’t empty it before I quit the last time. I thought I noticed a shimmering film in the oil reservoir the previous day.

Hmm seems like their are several variations of that saw.. How are the o rings on the caps?

I got to handle a brand new Echo that got run with the bar oil tank completely full of gasoline. The bar oil tank burned completely out and melted, but the gas tank didn't catch!

The guy was upset that his new saw "went on fire". :/

Not familiar with Stihls, but I cannot fathom how gas would get into the oil tank on the saws that I am familiar with. Maybe the fuel and oil tanks are part of the case, and share a gasket that can fail? Sounds like kind of a long shot. :)

Agree with Dairyman. The fuel tank is above the oil tank, separated by a thin case wall. The 2 case halves are sandwiched together with a thin gasket between them. If gasket fails, fuel seeps downward.

Thanks for the info folks, looks like I will be doing some work on the 011. I will be checking it again in the morning to confirm that’s it’s leaking. If I hadn’t already put a carb & coil on it I would just get rid of it. By the time winter is over I will have a rebuilt 011.