GCI60 insert flame struggles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cheeks

Nov 18, 2012
MA
Hi,
I've had my Harmon GCI60 Pellet Insert for over five years. I feel I know how it works year to year and have always had my settings the same (air rod out about 1.5 inches, fuel trim 5, air trim 3, premium pellet setting)

Suddenly this year I seem to be having flame issues. Even on setting 3 of 5 the flame looks like it is on 1 or 2. On five it looks like the old 3. I've messed with the air intake rod including opening it up as far as possible. My feed trim is on 5 (the highest) and i've tried all of the fan trim settings without noticing a difference. The glass is turning black so I know it's not getting enough air. I can hear the pellets coming out and I can see them burning but sometimes they are just glowing red.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Why bother posting if that's all you have to add.
It's an i not a 1.

It gets repeated a lot around here, but did you clean the stove? Really clean it? If yes, what did you clean and how? Did you clean the intake and exhaust? Outside air kit? Are the holes in the fire pot plugged? New brand of pellet?

Yes, had everything completely, professionally cleaned this summer.
I do not have an OAK. No holes are plugged. Using leftover pellets from last year (Matra Softwood, 8900 btu).

I don't know if that insert has the flapper on the intake port like my free standing Harman, but if it does, it may be stuck closed or partially closed. If you have one and it's not opening, it would cause low air.

Edited to add, I just tried looking it up to check and I don't see a Harman with that model, so my idea is likely wrong. There is a Hampton GC160 cast Iron pellet insert by Regency

Reactions: Mt Bob
The technical manual for this unit has in the troubleshooting section:

1637603373540.png

Check the inline fuses, which appear to be on the control board:
1637603402550.png

Recommend testing them with a multimeter if possible.

Hi,
I've had my Harmon GCI60 Pellet Insert for over five years. I feel I know how it works year to year and have always had my settings the same (air rod out about 1.5 inches, fuel trim 5, air trim 3, premium pellet setting)

Suddenly this year I seem to be having flame issues. Even on setting 3 of 5 the flame looks like it is on 1 or 2. On five it looks like the old 3. I've messed with the air intake rod including opening it up as far as possible. My feed trim is on 5 (the highest) and i've tried all of the fan trim settings without noticing a difference. The glass is turning black so I know it's not getting enough air. I can hear the pellets coming out and I can see them burning but sometimes they are just glowing red.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Check that the people that did the cleaning also cleaned the exhaust passage as shown on page 13 of the manual. You need to remove the firebox liner ( the back wall) and the lower piece to do this. I also presume they cleaned your vent, so my guess is ash behind the liner

Your stove needs to be disassembled and cleaned air intake to exhaust outlet
You have described a lack of combustion air problem right down to the black glass
A CLEAN STOVE IS A HAPPY STOVE
Just my nickel's worth.

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
Thank you for all of the replies. I am going to be looking at each of these things and then calling a professional if needed. Can you look at this picture? Should this circular cover be open? This is what I saw when I pulled my stove out. The angle is from above so this hole is below where the exhaust goes up the chimney.

20211126_135124.jpg

I do not know your stove, but I cannot imagine it should be open.Sure looks like a clean out access, that you would shut after cleaning. If it is in the exhaust passages(looks like ash inside), if it is after the combustion blower, it should have been blowing out ash all over, but if it is before the combustion blower, it would suck air,and cause low flame and poor burning in the fire box.

Reactions: Ssyko and johneh
Yes that is a clean out and should have been closed after vacuuming it out good along with sweeping the exhaust liner. The stove is a GCI-60 which is Regency's version of Enviro's M55 cast insert. Sherwood industries (Enviro) makes the stove and Regency puts their name on it. If the glass is getting dirty, one of two things, poor airflow or poor fuel. What you are describing could be pellet issue, I'd change to something else to see if the fuel is the issue. If another pellet does same, then air flow through the stove is being hampered. When its burning, does flame look normal in color? Is it a vibrant or more lazy flame? If lazy, poor color then I'd suspect stove cleanliness. Was the stove cleaned behind the cast iron baffle? Again, was exhaust liner cleaned properly? If it wasn't then the exhaust blower (lower left motor in back of stove) is probably not clean either. Should be pretty easy to take care of, that is a good insert.

Reactions: vinny11950
Yes that is a clean out and should have been closed after vacuuming it out good along with sweeping the exhaust liner. The stove is a GCI-60 which is Regency's version of Enviro's M55 cast insert. Sherwood industries (Enviro) makes the stove and Regency puts their name on it. If the glass is getting dirty, one of two things, poor airflow or poor fuel. What you are describing could be pellet issue, I'd change to something else to see if the fuel is the issue. If another pellet does same, then air flow through the stove is being hampered. When its burning, does flame look normal in color? Is it a vibrant or more lazy flame? If lazy, poor color then I'd suspect stove cleanliness. Was the stove cleaned behind the cast iron baffle? Again, was exhaust liner cleaned properly? If it wasn't then the exhaust blower (lower left motor in back of stove) is probably not clean either. Should be pretty easy to take care of, that is a good insert.
Don't you think a clean out passage left open will/could cause poor air flow, especially through the burn pot?

In this case, prob not. That unit slides into a frame and the exhaust "docks" into the frame, similar to what harman does.
That cleanout hole that was open is actually downstream of the stove and exh blower. What I would think is it would make a heckuva mess being left open behind the insert in the fireplace and possibly give you an exhaust smell. This is akin to leaving the cleanout cap off of a tee on the back of the stove, I'd think it would let you know about it... Of course, I could be wrong, it definitely should be closed.

Closing that round cleanout hole cover seems to really have helped. I've been running it all morning without anything on the glass and the flames seem to be back to normal. Thanks for all the help!

Great to hear- whoever cleaned that unit for you should be notified too, so hopefully next time it won't occur...

Reactions: Mt Bob