Genuine OEM or Fasco convection blower for Quadra-Fire Castile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jonkman

Burning Hunk
Nov 11, 2015
West Michigan
Hi All,

So my original blower was getting a little noisy, so I ordered a Fasco 812-4900 replacement for $129. It was quiet, for about 3 weeks, now it's getting an annoying noise just starting...fortunately the company has a no hassle return policy. Should I get another Fasco in exchange or shell out $200-$250 for a genuine Quadrafire blower? I think I found a few, but they are hard to find. I feel 90% of the ones you find on Amazon and other sites say they are genuine, but you can tell by the photos and reviews by buyers that they are knock offs.

Any help would be appreciated....thanks!

It depends on how good you think Fasco is. A single bad unit can escape even good quality control. Given that the fans you are finding on-line almost all appear to be knock-offs, you might want to risk getting another Fasco. Balancing a fan to make it really quiet is something of an art.

The OEM is also a Fasco product.

It is possible that both the OEM and aftermarket are made by the same company. They are probably made to different specs though. Different quality of shaft bearings, different quality of motor and motor bearings, etc. Same item can be built to last for 1 year or many years depending upon the quality of parts used.

Only a couple builders that produce fans, Fasco and one other. Most use skate bearings today but the older ones use oil impregnated bronze sleeve bearings.. Both are fine if you keep them oiled. The skate bearings though 'shielded' can still be oiled. The 'shield' can be removed with a sharp knife, oiled and then replaced. Been doing that for years.