Getting an Equinox into the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseNY

Feb 27, 2013
Hi! New member here, although I have been lurking! :)

Anyone have any suggestions on moving an Equinox? I found a used one I am going to buy but am trying to figure the best way to move this 700 lb mammoth, safely without hurting the stove or house itself. Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Special equipment, etc..?

I'm don't know about that particular stove's configuration, but here are some general tips when moving any stove:

Remove or unbolt any part of the stove you reasonably can and move it in pieces.
Use sliders such as carpet remnants or towels to move across wood or tile floors.
Furniture dollies work great.
A couple of 2x10's side by side make a great ramp for coming up a short flight of stairs.
Pull your delivery vehicle as close to your house as you can...don't lower the stove only to have to pick it up again.
For extreme installations, a rent or borrow a rolling engine block lift, or a stove lifting handtruck.

You've got to tell us what you're up against. All we know is the weight. Do you plan to load into a car, truck, trailer, u-haul with lift gate? Is the stove in a location now that requires to to go up or down stairs? Any landings? Are you old and weak or young and strong? Any buddies? Are they old and weak?

I've moved a few stoves. I like furniture dollies for flats and ramps for loading into and out of trucks. I have no stair experience.

I used a rolling engine block lift and Furniture dollies to move my stove.

Call a local hearth store, have them move this stove in for you. This stove is a monster to move! You will not be able to get it in without injury, unless there are no steps at all. Then it might be possible. You will need the proper equipment.

don't know about that particular stove's configuration
This particular stove is roughly 2' deep and 3' wide. And it weighs 745 lbs. on the skid. There is no other stove on the market that is as hard to move as this monster! It will destroy the average dolly or hand truck. You will need a heavy duty roller board and and an escalera. http://www.escalera.com/

Reactions: Heatsource
When I recently picked up my Jotul F 600 (465 lbs.) I had a friend help me get it off the truck and into the house. We slid the stove on the shipping pallet down a ramp and onto a furniture dolly. My dolly has wheels that are only 2 1/2" in diameter, so they didn't handle very well with that big a load. We had to use a 2x4 as a lever under the dolly at times to make it move across uneven surfaces like the stone deck we had to cross. One trick to keep in mind is the use of a lever if needed at times. Of course, you have to be careful where you have the board contact your stove as not to cause damage. Yesterday I was finally able to move my stove up onto the hearth extension to complete my installation. I had the stove up on blocking on the dolly to match the 8" height of my hearth. I then had a couple of 2" long sheet metal skid plates the stove shop gave me. These were about six inches wide. I sprayed some silicone spray on them and then walked the stove onto the hearth moving each side a couple inches at a time. That meant I had to lift each side of the stove enough to move it. It took some effort, but no hernia! With your larger Equinox you can figure needing two people on each side to do what I was able to do alone on my Jotul 600.

It certainly can be done. Like others said, it completely depends on what you're up against. I moved/installed two Progress Hybrids at around 700 lbs each, and removed/moved a Hearthstone I which seemed just as heavy. Equipment and method was completely different on the installs since they were different houses with different obstacles.

Hydraulic wheelbarrow?
Hearthstonestovetobasement011.jpg

Reactions: mfglickman
These work like a charm. Very economical to buy too. Even Harbor Freight has good ones. They have 2 sizes.

Furniture dolly.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.