Getting the Fireview up to heat ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the results on the oven test that I did. I assume that I did this right and of course my oven could be off slightly, but I put four thermometers in the oven and set it at 400 degrees. I also bought two Condar flue thermometers (older style black).

Woodstock thermometer (provided with stove): 440˚
Vogelzang Model TG-01: 500˚
Condar Flue thermometer Model 3-19 (first one): 1100˚
Condar Flue thermometer Model 3-19 (second one): 900˚

This is quite a descrepancy between thermometers. The Woodstock seems most accurate and Vogelzang is close.

The huge difference in the Condar units could be how they were packaged (the indicator arm is on the outside of the circular gauge and was not really protected in the box so well). It could also be that they are only meant to measure from the tip of the probe and heating up the surface throws off the reading. I would like to think that a reputable company such as Condar would not sell an inaccurate product when safety is an issue.

For clarification, one of the Condar thermometers was damaged from handling/packaging. The indicator arm was bent a little. This probably explains the difference between both units.

FWIW, I installed the other one and it seemed to work great. I did not exceed 550 degrees on my flu temp according to this thermometer. It seems that it is meant to measure only from the probe; any attempt to test the whole unit in the oven seems to throw off the measurements.

Also, the Vogelzang surface thermometer seemed to indicate that you will get a reading approximately half of what is actually in the flu with double-wall stove pipe. It ran almost exactly half the temperature as the internal probe thermometer (Condar) throughout the burn cycle.

Mike

I'm on my first week with the fireview as well. So far I am quite pleased. When you guys are setting the fireview up for a long burn and setting it to .5 or .75, are there still flames in the firebox? Not sure how important it is. I've had a fire 2 nights ago that I set it real low with no flames at all and the glass stayed clean and the cat was just doing it's thing. Is this a bad thing to have no flames? There is still enough air to keep the smoke feeding the cat so it is not like the cat is going to go out is it? It sure is a real treat to just toss a log in in the morning and it ignites almost immediately with the nice bed of coals. I'm sure I have lots to learn with this new stove, but so far I love it. Just for the record, when I engage the cat I have the air set around 1. I usually have lots of flames at this setting and usually go down between .5 and .75. Then I may have a few flames or they may go out and was just wondering how your fireviews behave.

Thanks

Tim

Tim, it all depends upon how much wood we put into the firebox. Usually at a setting of 1 we'll have constant flame.

When we want heat and fill that firebox and get it hot, that is when we'll get that beautiful dancing flame that seems to be all at the top of the stove and will last a long time. However, this time of they year we usually don't want that much heat so we turn it down right away and get just a little or no flame.

On the big fires with the dancing flame, after that goes out, it will almost appear like the stove isn't burning at all, but if you look at the thermometer (along with feeling that heat) you'll see the cat. is kicking out the heat with just burning the smoke. Bending down and looking up through the top of the glass you should also see the red glow of the cat. However, you will not always see a glow, but that does not mean it isn't working. You can tell it is working just by the the temperature of the stove.

Good luck with that new stove Tim.

Tim IA said:
I'm on my first week with the fireview as well. So far I am quite pleased. When you guys are setting the fireview up for a long burn and setting it to .5 or .75, are there still flames in the firebox? Not sure how important it is. I've had a fire 2 nights ago that I set it real low with no flames at all and the glass stayed clean and the cat was just doing it's thing. Is this a bad thing to have no flames? There is still enough air to keep the smoke feeding the cat so it is not like the cat is going to go out is it? It sure is a real treat to just toss a log in in the morning and it ignites almost immediately with the nice bed of coals. I'm sure I have lots to learn with this new stove, but so far I love it. Just for the record, when I engage the cat I have the air set around 1. I usually have lots of flames at this setting and usually go down between .5 and .75. Then I may have a few flames or they may go out and was just wondering how your fireviews behave.

Thanks

Tim

That is exactly how I burn my stove with a full load. Set it at #1 and adjust down from there. My sweet spot is usually between .5 and .75. The further down I go the slower looking the flames, sometimes there may be no flame, just a slight flicker or a burst every once in awhile. Every fire can be different. Keep experimenting with the air settings and monitor the temps and you will get her figured out in no time.

Any of you fellow Fireview burners ever notice when you really turn that puppy down like below .5, the bottom coals go dark and the fire goes into a top down type fire where the top front logs burn first, turn to coals, then ignite the bottom and finally works to the back? I've seen this a few times, but can't burn that low or I can get a slight wiff of smoke in the house. I try to keep those bottom coals red.

Todd, I have not noticed that but will try to remember to watch for it.

For the new guys, we've posted many times before about getting the Fireview up to heat. I think Todd is in agreement with me when I say I can have that baby cooking very easily in way less than an hour. Usually 45 minutes maximum. It takes a while to get the stove to 250 but then when you engage the cat., the temperature goes up fast!

I still use the bottom up fire rather than top down. It just seems to work better for me and maybe I've just done it that way too long or too ornery to change. I use some newspaper and small kindling. A couple small splits on top of the kindling. Add more splits after all is burning well (I do not wait for the coal bed). As stated, with a cold stove, I'm cooking good in 45 minutes or less.

For kindling, I use soft maple split into about 1" square pieces from 12-16" long. I also usually start the fire using soft maple. The harder and heavier wood gets put in at night.

Our wood pile consists of soft maple, white ash, cherry, elm and an occasional pin oak. Sometimes we have a few other types but those listed are our main source of fuel with the soft maple and ash being the biggies.

Here's what I've found to be most successful for me, on my Keystone. I'm burning 90% cherry.

I come home from work to a decent sized bed of coals and a stovetop temp below 250ª. I like to get the stove, pipes, etc nice and toasty before engaging my cat for the rest of the evening. This may mean burning one or two splits at #2 for an hour or so without the cat lit. This also throws a lot of heat into the room (and up the chimney). I realize that this isn't the most efficient way of burning wood, but I have plenty of wood and want a warm house quickly, so it's what I do.

I too, have not been able to sustain lit catalytic temps over 450ª, but I'm not using the best wood species yet either. Also, to be really specific about where my air control is....the bottom part of the lever lines up perfectly with the #1 line. Since that lever is 1/4" thick, I think it makes a difference to know exactly what I have it set to, because the margin of air going into the stove at that point is so small.

Best of luck,
Aaron

Risser09 said:
Also, to be really specific about where my air control is....the bottom part of the lever lines up perfectly with the #1 line. Since that lever is 1/4" thick, I think it makes a difference to know exactly what I have it set to, because the margin of air going into the stove at that point is so small.

Best of luck,
Aaron

Good point about the air lever. I line mine up with the top of the lever. Moving that lever just a smidgen can make a big difference. I also painted the numbers and lever with high temp white paint for better visibility.

Your fireview stove is a soapstone. The 500 degrees you mention is INTERNAL temp. You need 250 on the stove top
to close the damper and fire the CAT. I have a soapstone stove and love how long it holds heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.