Getting wood dry enough for next season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You should look into getting a trailer hitch put on that van. We used to be mini-van scroungers as well, and it was much nicer to be able to keep the wood (and spiders) out of the seating area. We had the hitch put on and used a rental U-Haul on occasion until we found a suitable trailer on Craigslist. The rentals are so inexpensive that it could be a viable long-term option.
I did that over the summer and it worked well. A tree company was giving away about 200 full length logs close by but would only load to a trailer. I got about a cord of ash, sycamore and red oak and the rental was $35. The hard part was getting the logs out in 85°F. I only was able to make one trip before I had to clean and return the trailer. To buy a similar trailer might be $2-4K. That is 57 cords worth of uhaul rentals...

Reactions: KennyK
A trailer is a great help. I have a 14 year old Toyota Sienna with 170k miles and it is not running well. Hauled this load in 3 trips yesterday.

20180411_072834.jpg
20180411_072844.jpg

Trailer cost me $1k about 5 years ago. Works great hauling splits or in my case rounds. I use it to carry brush, wood, drywall, lawnmowers, all kinds of stuff.

Reactions: KennyK