Getting Wood Up To A Deck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if you like hydraulics you can make a pretty nice lift from a lift from a fork lift
can sometimes find them cheap in the scrap yard

Can someone catch splits as you toss them up to the deck? Cheers! :cheese:
Edit: Damn - didn't see the woodchuck post.....

I recommend an older (meaning cheap) small tractor with a front end loader. Amazingly helpful in many ways.

Slow1 said:
I'm waiting to hear the answers (chasing your thread here). I have wondered if one of those carts with big enough wheels could be pulled up the steps... I found a commercially available lift once for wood but it was way too expensive for my tastes.

Other thoughts include a boom that would swing out over the edge of the deck with a winch to attach to some sort of basket to hold the wood (or perhaps the cart itself if the wood can be stabilized to not fall out). The mechanics of making such a structure worry me a bit though as we're talking significant weight so lots of torque on that thing so it would have to be very strong at the fulcrum not to mention some really good mounting to the deck. I wonder if there is some sort of engine lift that swings around and could be adopted to this purpose...

Here is a very neat idea: http://www.gordosoft.com/woodcrane/

I like that one! I really need to study how it is attached to the deck. If I could make it such that it swings around that would be ideal for me - no convenient window...

Slow1 said:
I like that one! I really need to study how it is attached to the deck. If I could make it such that it swings around that would be ideal for me - no convenient window...

How about cutting an access panel to get the wood 'in'?

Status
Not open for further replies.