Glass broke in sisters stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Quad

Feb 3, 2010
Illinois
Well the glass broke in my sisters stove. Can this be purchased from a glass dealer? I hate to think what the manufacture will charge. Can the gasket be re-used?

You can most likely get replacement glass from a glass dealer. Just make sure you get the right kind of glass. Most pellet stoves use ceramic glass for the high temperatures. The gasket may be able to be re used but I would buy new gasket just to be safe.

Turbo-Quad said:
Well the glass broke in my sisters stove. Can this be purchased from a glass dealer? I hate to think what the manufacture will charge. Can the gasket be re-used?
Didnt she just get it? I looked up that stove. Looked like a BEAST. Read really well on paper. Was this an accident? (dropped, hit) Or was it to much heat? (its possible)

Yep, she just got it a few weeks ago. I don't know all the details. I just got a text message from her saying it got broke, so I am researching how to get some new glass.

As CJ-SR4ever said, try a local glass company. Tell him what it's for, give the thickness and dimensions, and that's it ceramic glass for a stove. Better yet, bring a piece of the old glass with you. They should be able to get it.

If the glass has only a small crack, like in a corner or the lower edge, it may not be a safety issue since the air leakage issue isn't about air leaking out into the house, but air leaking into the stove where the burn chamber is in a state of suction from the exhaust blower. If there is no shattering of the glass and it is still held firmly in the door, you might want to consider using the stove temporarily as it is. But the best case would be if it is under warranty and could be replaced for free. Here's a photo of the crack in my stove door, which has no effect on it's operation

Attachments

• 000_0418.jpg
    000_0418.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 510
Yes it is still under warranty so maybe they will replace it. It is just cracked so I will have her try it and see. The glass place wanted $180 and the vendor wants $70 so no brainer there. The glas place did say if it didn't shatter into a bunch of tiny pieces then it isn't ceramic glass and tempered glass is only $20. Well, it didn't shatter into tiny pieces so this leaves me wondering.

Not sure of current pricing

But these guys make/sell Ceramic glass for stoves.

http://www.us.schott.com/hometech/english/products/robax/index.html

I needed some ceramic glass for a work project a few years ago. They used to be known as Robax Glass in Rhode Island.

Back then it was $27.00 for a 12"x12" 1/8" flat sheet. With ground edges. I use them for batch trays to put into our industrial oven.
The glass is good to 1400 degrees. And can be machined unlike Tempered Glass.

Not sure what current pricing is.

Give them a call.

---Nailer---

I may have mis understood what that glass guy was saying. I'll call about the Robax tomorrow. That is what is in my Amaizablaze. They sent flyer all about the glass with the stove, they seemed to be very proud of it.

Whatever you do make certain that glass is replaced and if there is a crack, do not use the stove until then.

One really delayed ignition and you could have burning pellets flying out of the stove where the glass used to be.

Yeh thats a good point. I think there is some glass busted out of it. I still haven't been over there to investigate, just doing the footwork on the glass for her right now.

Shes gettin a new one from the vendor. It turns out it was just a crack. I fired it up today and it ran fine, no low vacum errors. I, of course, wouldn't leave it running like this un-attended. I just wanted to see if it would pull enough vacum to run and it did. That was a suprise because there was about a 1.5 mm gap in the crack. Anyway the new one should be here soon not that she will need it. It's going to be 82 tomorrow.

Well they sent her a new glass and gasket. Going to put it in tomorrow. No charge. Seems to be a very good vendor. I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these stoves.

Wow! That's what I call service. Don't be butter-fingers when you put the new one in, that would be bad.

Dexter,

Use the <a> for url links. You might need to allow pop ups from the site. Past the link in the first box and name it anything you want in the second box. One issue is if the link has spaces or in it. The site software will bounce it. And you will have a broken link.

Item number:360358595263

Status
Not open for further replies.