God Speed Peter O'Toole ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Talk about doin' it right )

"If he had been any prettier it would have to have been called Florence of Arabia."

- Noel Coward

Reactions: firebroad
Terry Gross replayed a great interview with O'Toole. He hated the camels and finally got some foam rubber to protect his bleeding butt. After the local Bedouins saw how comfortable he was as compared to them in their wooden saddles, they had him ordering the stuff by the yard.

He was a very special actor with an incredible memory. For example, he loved Shakespeare sonnets and had all 154 memorized.

http://www.npr.org/2013/12/16/251610110/the-camels-were-impossible-peter-otoole-remembers-arabia

A good quote from him

When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.

“I did quite enjoy the days when one went for a beer at one’s local in Paris and woke up in Corsica.”

The messianic expression on O'Toole's face that was complimented by the critics as they wrote about the charge scene in Lawrence of Arabia was actually drunken terror. He and Sharif got blitzed as they were waiting for the shot to be set up and were tied to the camels.

I once asked a woman what "bedroom eyes" meant. She said to take a look at Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif and get back to her. ;lol

Reactions: gyrfalcon
I once asked a woman what "bedroom eyes" meant. She said to take a look at Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif and get back to her. ;lol

I'm surprised you didn't get a slap in the face ;)

Reactions: Dix
Why? I just wanted to know what she meant when she had just told me that I had bedroom eyes. >>

Now, back on topic...

Liar.

NOW, back on topic.

Ask her. I married her.

That's awesome :)

"The only exercise I take is walking behind the coffins of friends who took exercise."

Interviewer: Are you afraid of dying?
O'Toole: Petrified.
Interviewer: Why?
O'Toole: Because there's no future in it.

One of the greats, and was still sexy at 80.
One of my favorite quotes was from "My Favourite Year" when he told the hung-over Benjy (who complained he was "unwell"),
"Ladies are unwell--gentlemen vomit."

Reactions: gyrfalcon
We just finished watching My Favorite Year, in which he plays a lovable parody of himself:

"I'm not an actor I'm a Movie Star!"

It took a few hints, but my daughter finally recognized Anton Ego:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dix
Status
Not open for further replies.