Going to look at a Englander 30NCP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neverrude

Hearth Supporter
Apr 17, 2008
NJ
I’ve read so many good comments about the Englander 30 NCP I couldn’t resist calling about an add I saw advertising one that was 3 years old and used for two seasons for $325.
If it’s in good shape I’ll get rid of my Jotul 118 and spend less time reloading.
This a great site with great members and a great staff. :)

Take a camera with you and get some pics inside & out...there are some people here who know those stoves intimately and can help you evaluate the condition of it. Rick

Great idea, thanks fossil. I checked all over and what I found was a snapped off bolt that holds the back tube, no plate were the blower goes on the back and some minor damage on the fiber board. No signs of warping any were and the fire brick looked good. Any comments

Attachments

• P1010001-2.JPG
    P1010001-2.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 438
  • P1010002-2.JPG
    P1010002-2.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 430
  • P1010003-2.JPG
    P1010003-2.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 441

Attachments

• P1010004-2.JPG
    P1010004-2.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 424
The "bolt" is just a stainless steel self tapping screw so getting the rest of it out of the hole should be easy and the replacement is twenty nine cents at the hardware store. The damage to the baffles and the tube are just from banging around in the stove with a poker. If you turn the boards over I bet the other sides are still smooth.

I would use that stuff for negotiating purposes but if the stove body, door and glass are in good shape I would buy it for the right price.

BrotherBart said:
The "bolt" is just a stainless steel self tapping screw so getting the rest of it out of the hole should be easy and the replacement is twenty nine cents at the hardware store. The damage to the baffles and the tube are just from banging around in the stove with a poker. If you turn the boards over I bet the other sides are still smooth.

I would use that stuff for negotiating purposes but if the stove body, door and glass are in good shape I would buy it for the right price.

The body, door and glass were all in good shape. He knocked off 25. When I pointed out the broken screw.
Would the boards be ok the way they are and not affect the the performance?
The owner was 88 years old and his 84 year old wife had him take it out because it made the house too hot. They were great and we spent about half an hour talking . :)
Its been sitting in his garage for about a year. I gave him the 300 and told him I’d be back over the weekend.
Thanks BB, now I know I made the right decision.

The boards should be ok. If you want to change'em out at some point they are $65 apiece.

Thanks BB, now my search begins for a set of legs.

The boards in my 30 have a couple "dinks" in them, just as BB says... from banging around with the poker. Stove still burns just fine.

Sounds like a pretty good deal! It's a great stove. I love mine.

-SF

ther than the tube , stove looks pretty good to me , nothing realy catches my eye. the fiberboards are fine , no reason to replace them as they sit. i'd say you got a heck of a deal.

old guy that sold it to you probably made the "old school" mistake thinking bigger is better and you can slow it down , a 30 when you slow it down you just make the wood last longer you dont really run a "low and slow" keep the chill off fire like you used to be able to do with the old smoke dragons.

Yeah, that's for sure. This thing puts out big time heat ALL the time.

-SF

My son is going to get a couple of his buddies and pick it up for me. My 63 year old back isn’t what it used to be.
I’ll have to move my pre-heat tank a little and see what the 30 does to it. I leave a space between the stove and tank for a heat shield just in case.
Thanks for all input gents.

Status
Not open for further replies.