Good day to hunker in!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ispinwool

Feeling the Heat
Feb 5, 2010
Butler County, Pa.
The roads are bad, schools are closed and there's lots of wood.... I'll be right here if anyone is looking for me! LoL!
IMG_20200207_074335.jpg

Yeah, it started raining here on Monday, and hasn’t stopped more than a few hours ever since. Beats the pattern we were in all January though, where it was beautiful frozen and sunny weather all week, and then 50 F and pouring rain every weekend. Real tough to split or move firewood in those conditions, if you work during the week.

This weekend should be dry, but I wish the ground would freeze, already. Got another dozen cords of wood ready to haul home, but it’s too muddy to do it! Also have a new wood shed sitting empty, ready to be filled, but the entire area surrounding it is standing water, right now.

I'm in SW Pa...it started sometime last night...there's vehicles in just about every ditch in the area.IMG_20200207_091552.jpg

Reactions: charger4406
I work in Evan's City and it wasnt that bad.

1581098880108.png Things got a bit hairy on Rt 588!

Reactions: SidecarFlip
25F here with whiteout/blizzard conditions till 9pm, up to 36" snow expected,
busy keeping may lane ways clean and tuning the ski-doo's :)

Reactions: Gearhead660

Good heavens! 36"!!!
I'll shut up now! LOL (things ain't so bad here after all! LOL)

Reactions: charger4406
MXZed - Ski-Doo. Wyoming trip a few weeks back.

Attachments

• 20190123_112058.jpg
    20190123_112058.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 162
We got a little over 2 feet here, was a good day to sit inside and warm up between rounds of shoveling

Attachments

• 91FBF953-959D-4285-8ECF-FC08F1A29650.jpeg
    91FBF953-959D-4285-8ECF-FC08F1A29650.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 151
No snow here, just what is left from earlier in the week, about an inch or so. Been a snowfree winter so far, just cold. I knew when I put the plow on, it wouldn't snow. Works that way. I'm good at scaring the snow gods away..... ;lol

Attachments

• 100_0005.JPG
    100_0005.JPG
    328.6 KB · Views: 157
No snow here, just what is left from earlier in the week, about an inch or so. Been a snowfree winter so far, just cold. I knew when I put the plow on, it wouldn't snow. Works that way. I'm good at scaring the snow gods away..... ;lol
Same here, I didn't put the pusher on the tractor until we got the first snow in December, after that one storm I kept the pusher on and it hasn't snow since lol, tbh normally I'd prob be all pouty about the lack of winter snow, this year not so much, just rolling with the punches, now if I can get the yard dried out I'd be really happy.

Snow to me is poor roads and having to clear drives. I don't look at snow as fun at all. It's work and fuel usage in the tractors that gives me no return. Only time I get anything from it is when I pull an idiot out of the ditch. Then it's 50 bucks cash or I don't pull them and they can call the local wrecker service and pay 4 times that. Don't snowmachine any more so no worry about snow and don't ice fish either.

Effin’ muddy garbage here, today. It has rained each of the last four weekends, and then for five days straight this week, just ending last night.

Had to unload and retrieve my trailer from my wood lot, and didn’t have tire chains for the new tractor yet, so I left quite a mess of ruts, and ended up having to run a tow line up the hill to my pickup.

DCDD92B8-15E9-4552-9916-3C47EF4CE364.jpeg07622ADD-5051-44A6-844E-DC222B5DBB27.jpeg

R1's would do much better. Turf tires aren't worth beans in mud. Even R4 though they turn into mud balls too. Nice little green tractor. Little compared to mine at least..

Attachments

• 100_0062.JPG
    100_0062.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: AlbergSteve
Yeah, this machine is about as big as I could go, given it’s use for a lot of lawn work. Truthfully, I’d have probably been better with a 2032R for most of what I do, but occasionally I need the capacity of this 3-series. I only have a few acres, so no need for farm tractors, here.

I debated R4’s, but after seeing how much damage they do to soft turf, I changed my order back to the R3’s. Anyone who argues that R4’s are no worse for a lawn hasn’t actually tried both on a machine if this weight. I have, and can tell you there’s a good reason turf care guys still run R3’s. I just need to chain up when it gets real muddy, but R4’s really aren’t all that much better in mud like this, anyway.

I debated R4’s, but after seeing how much damage they do to soft turf,
No doubt you made the right decision there, I run r4's and its no go on the grass for the past year, even if the grass doesn't get torn up, you def leave the tread prints in the soil. I sort of had to get creative and more or less make a perimeter path in my yard to stay off the grass, but theres still mud that gets tracked onto the pavement.

Mine never go on the lawn and if they do it's dry and firm and I' have the front wheel assist disengaged.. Mine are for farming. We have a side by side for lawn chores and a zero turn for mowing. Only R1's here. Have a big Lucknow blower for the back and the plow for the front. It's unstoppable no matter how much it snows. Problem is, we haven't had much snow here for years so the plow and blower mostly sit. Fine with me though.

Effin’ muddy garbage here, today. It has rained each of the last four weekends, and then for five days straight this week, just ending last night.

Had to unload and retrieve my trailer from my wood lot, and didn’t have tire chains for the new tractor yet, so I left quite a mess of ruts, and ended up having to run a tow line up the hill to my pickup.

View attachment 256700View attachment 256701
Your place is starting to look like mine! Well, with out the castle. ;lol
Had to make room this weekend for the upcoming chicken coop expansion and had to split and stack 6 cord, got 5 of 6 done today. I think this is the first full sun day we've had since November. I think I've got more standing water than you...<>
P_20200208_165803.jpg

Note the wheel barrow, wasn't taking the tractor in to this swamp. This is what happened a year ago in the same spot.
IMGP8890.JPG
This is what it often looks like...
P_20190103_151859.jpg

Last edited:
Cleaned up the shop today. Too wet and sloppy to be running around outside.

Attachments

• 20181129_172519.jpg
    20181129_172519.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: heavy hammer
Your place is starting to look like mine!
Yeah, I’m dealing with a little standing water here, much like your first photo, but you definitely have me beat with that third pic!
Cleaned up the shop today. Too wet and sloppy to be running around outside.
Same here. I was retrieving the trailer so I could spend the day making some long-overdue repairs and modifications to it, on dry pavement. It was actually warm enough to weld then paint, a rare occasion in early February. Next weekend should be frozen again, so I’ll finally get to do some foundation work on my most recent wood shed, built in late December. It has been sitting in a temporary location since then, waiting for the ground to either dry or freeze enough to work in the wood lot.

If the current weather is our new norm, I’m screwed on my wood lot location. Of course, I remember several straight years warmer and wetter than this, roughly 30 years ago.

At my age, I'm lucky to remember last week, let alone 30 years ago. Winter is winter to me. Cold, snowy, wet and generally miserable. I do prefer a good hard long freeze however, it kills off the bugs I have to deal with when I'm farming. Saves on pesticide application.

At my age, I'm lucky to remember last week, let alone 30 years ago. Winter is winter to me. Cold, snowy, wet and generally miserable.
Since iv installed a wood stove is just about every place i live and work ,i dont mind that cold wet and sloppy near as much as i use to. In fact at times, i look forward to it ,crazy huh ?

Since iv installed a wood stove is just about every place i live and work ,i dont mind that cold wet and sloppy near as much as i use to. In fact at times, i look forward to it ,crazy huh ?
If you had to go out and tend cattle every day like I do, you'd get tired of the mud and slush pretty fast. Ah, the life of a farmer....

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Winter would not seem as bad these last few years if we could get a good freeze. These months of just cold enough to make it a miserable muddy mess is getting old. I'm with you SidecarFlip working outside in these conditions are not a lot of fun. Steel is cold in the summer let alone in the winter. At least the girls were able to get some sledding in finally this winter, first real weekend of some snow accumulation, but still muddy underneath the snow.