Good day to hunker in!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you had to go out and tend cattle every day like I do, you'd get tired of the mud and slush pretty fast. Ah, the life of a farmer....
Perhaps thats why i dont have cattle anymore. I dont envy the farmers , it was just a hobby for me. Iv since setup all my outside work for summer months.

Last edited:
Winter would not seem as bad these last few years if we could get a good freeze. These months of just cold enough to make it a miserable muddy mess is getting old. I'm with you SidecarFlip working outside in these conditions are not a lot of fun. Steel is cold in the summer let alone in the winter. At least the girls were able to get some sledding in finally this winter, first real weekend of some snow accumulation, but still muddy underneath the snow.

No kids here, all grown up. Just me, the wife and the animals outside (and inside) too. 2 dogs and a couple cats that I don't like (cats).

Reactions: heavy hammer
Perhaps thats why i dont have cattle anymore. I dont envy the farmers , it was just a hobby for me. Iv since setup all my outside work for summer months.
Farming is summertime, animal husbandry is all the time..... _g

Your place is starting to look like mine! Well, with out the castle. ;lol
Had to make room this weekend for the upcoming chicken coop expansion and had to split and stack 6 cord, got 5 of 6 done today. I think this is the first full sun day we've had since November. I think I've got more standing water than you...<>
View attachment 256730

Note the wheel barrow, wasn't taking the tractor in to this swamp. This is what happened a year ago in the same spot.
View attachment 256731
This is what it often looks like...
View attachment 256732

Wearing your rubber muck boots?

Wearing your rubber muck boots?
Oh yeah. Had a friend's teen son over to help me stack, his work boots had the side out of them - he just manned up and plowed through the muck a water for 5 hours! Even offered him a pair of Muck boots and said nope, I'm good. Even came back today to finish the job. Gotta give him credit, most kids would have been whining in the first ten minutes.

Think I'd give him a couple bucks for his effort. Neighborly thing to do. It's 40 here and most of what fell yesterday evening is gone.

Think I'd give him a couple bucks for his effort. Neighborly thing to do. It's 40 here and most of what fell yesterday evening is gone.
I did, he got $25 an hour. I remember splitting and moving wood for my grandmother. After a day of slogging it out in the wood pile, she would press a quarter in your hand and thank you. The good news is that I've got 20+ cord CSS'd , so I should be good for the next five years.

You are a good man. Buy him another pair of muck boots too...lol

Reactions: edyit
Here's a photo of our blizzard on the 7th. We had a few more inches of snow this morning but it petered out to rain. Supposedly we'll get more snow Thursday. And I sure am glad to have some nice wood heat!

Attachments

• 20200207_130310.jpg
    20200207_130310.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: charger4406