Good deal on a Morso 3610 for a small house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

forrest1248

May 4, 2022
NW Montana
Hi All, I'm a first time wood stove buyer looking for primary heat source for our 1100 sq foot house. I'm just starting research process and I stumbled upon a unused Morso 3610 for around $1000, which seems like a very good price for a quality stove. If this Morso is a good fit for me, I'm inclined to be opportunistic and pick it up. Otherwise, it's back to the spreadsheet!

More details on my situation. House is 1100 sq. foot 1.5 story house with decent insulation, but some original (80 years) windows. Stove will go in 700 sq ft main floor with semi-open plan. The goal is to use a wood stove will be used as primary heat source. Average winter temps are 15-30 F here in MT.

Thanks!

It's a good radiant heater, very well built. Make sure it's in good condition, no cracks or signs of overfiring.

I’d buy it at that price.

I’d buy it at that price.

Thanks for the input. So you don’t think it would heat us out of our small house? I suppose if it’s not working I can always replace it.

It's a good radiant heater, very well built. Make sure it's in good condition, no cracks or signs of overfiring.
Thanks for the reminders. The seller says it was never used (somehow), so I’m hoping it wasn’t overfired. Other than cracks in the exterior, any signs of abuse to watch for?

Thanks for the input. So you don’t think it would heat us out of our small house? I suppose if it’s not working I can always replace it.

Thanks for the reminders. The seller says it was never used (somehow), so I’m hoping it wasn’t overfired. Other than cracks in the exterior, any signs of abuse to watch for?

If it's giving off too much heat just put less wood in it.

I think it will be ok size wise. It’s 2 cu ft and really radiant so I bet you can turn the first floor into a sauna if you tried hard but when the temps drop below zero you will be glad to have the extra heat. Smaller stoves put out less heat but have to be reloaded more often. My 1.7 cu ft can be reloaded every 4 hours when it’s cold.

Other than cracks in the exterior, any signs of abuse to watch for?
Heavy amount of reddish/orange hue to the interior castings. But if never used, it should be pretty easy to tell by how clean it would be.

If true, that's a great deal. It will be pretty obvious if used. There will be ash remnants in the firebox and ashpan. If the paint shows light grey in areas it has been overheated. If all is ok, don't snooze on the deal.

Sounds like a good buy if it checks out.

Update: As advertised, the stove was unused and in perfect condition so I pulled the trigger. I’ll be spending plenty of time on the forums here as I work out the rest of the setup! Thanks.

7FD53A4D-E778-41E9-8E04-8A563561E275.jpeg

Congratulations, you've done well. That is a nice stove and a great deal. Installed properly it will provide years of good heat. Do you have several cords of firewood already cut, split, and stacked? What will you be burning mostly, pine?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Congratulations, you've done well. That is a nice stove and a great deal. Installed properly it will provide years of good heat. Do you have several cords of firewood already cut, split, and stacked? What will you be burning mostly, pine?
I’m lucky to have access to a lot of private land with pine and spruce forest that hasn’t been logged in a long time. I’m working on harvesting the dead (but not rotted) trees now, figuring those would be somewhat “pre-seasoned” for use in the next couple of years. In the meantime, I’m also thinning live trees that can dry and be ready a few years down the road.

Reactions: begreen
Congrats! Morso makes very high quality stoves and you should be happy for a long time. For what it's worth, we are seasoning spruce, fir, and tamarack in one season here in Coastal Maine.

You guys are getting some great scores here. Blazinghot scored the jotul f45 in Jan for $500. Both you guys got crazy good deals!