Got me something to move my wood around

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backroads

Feeling the Heat
Jun 19, 2008
Small Town, RI
Well I've had the truck for almost 10 years and the trailer now for 3 or 4. Talked the wife into picking this up for cheap money. I have almost 10 cord of tree length on the ground and this is going to help move it and get rid of the stumps when I'm done. :)

backhoe.jpg

You are headed to the "you're spoiled" category :)

Sweet!

Sweeeeeeeet!

Yeah, today I cut the some of the logs on the ground that I can man-handle to 88" and threw them in the bucket!! :) I didn't realize it was a 96" bucket :eek: Drove them around the back of the shed and dumped in a pile...then drank a beer and admired the pile! This is how work should be done!! A good friend just gave me a set of forks for the bucket too He paid $500 for them but they've been in his field for 7 years so I need to free up the clamping screws...but it's the right priceSo once I fix them I can pick up the bigger ash tree's I cut down...I can't wait for winter :) lol lol lol

Reactions: jjs777_fzr
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys, or at least the size of the toys. My bobcat, or as my wife calls it, bobby sure is handy to have around. I can do in 10 minutes what would take me a week to do manually. I would like to have the back hoe to pull up stumps, but I would have trouble getting that thing around my woods.

Reactions: Backroads
A bobcat would of been nice...even better for just moving logs and versatility. But $$$$$. I'm only into this backhoe for $5k and I'm doing a clear cut to make pasture for the horses so the stumps have to go. I also hope to plow the driveway with it, it's 1/4 mile long.

Reactions: ScotO
I like the fact that you can do some stump rippin' with the hoe, so I would rather have a backhoe than a bobcat. Hell, for 5 grand, you didn't go wrong on that machine.......I wish I could find one for that kind of money.....

Ypu can pick up an entire tree with that hoe and drag it anywhere you want. BTW, stumps are MUCH easier to dig when they are attached to the tree...in case you have any others to take out in the future.

Reactions: Backroads
Yeah, I'm getting the hang of it pretty well. It's prolly been 15yrs since I ran a hoe but it's coming back. For a 16k lb machine it get's around pretty good, I just have to find a spot to put all this dang wood I've got down. (I know, tough problem to have!) But you wouldn't believe the cedar I have down also!!

Tipping a tree out is easier than trying to dig a stump. More leverage.
Largest pine tree root ball I have ever seen... Beat the heck out of my Case 580CK getting that thing out of the hole. Est. weight of about 9000 pounds. I had to roll it to the burn hole.

Attachments

• pinerootsm.jpg
    pinerootsm.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 148
Nice. I hope you know how to fix it. The problem with the old stuff is that while it is always cheaper to buy, there's a reason its so cheap. The guy who sold it probably was afraid of down time and repair costs hurting his bottom line. Hopefully in lighter home owner use it was hold up ok for you. I know that my $260, 40 year old garden tractor takes some tinkering from time to time, but that is part of the fun. Good luck with it, and have fun.

I am fairly mechanically inclined, since I am a mechanic by trade. And what I can't fix I usually know someone who does.The guy who sold it to me bought it with the intention of doing small jobs around his place but he realized he didn't have the knack for it. The guy he bought if off was most likely the one that fits your description of hurting his bottom line. None the less I think I got a good deal. Thanks!

Looks like a good deal to me!!!! I like the equalizing bucket makes it really nice when using forks and helps keep dirt from coming off the back of the bucket when lifting it to dump in a truck. Does it have converter drive with the gears on the floor and a turn signal type lever to change from forward N Reverse? If so through the gear box in neutral when using the backhoe. I had one jump into forward while running the backhoe and it almost ran me into a pit before I got it shut off. I haven't ran a 680. But used a lot of 580's both as tractors and forklifts. They made millions of those and they were tough and held up well.

Billy

Got to play with it today. ::-)

wood-1.jpg

Reactions: DexterDay
i thought you were showing us a new wheelbarrow or cart of some type. what a nice surprise.

Dang, I would love to have that! Congrats!

Thanks everyone. It's got it's quirks like any old machine but it digs really well and the pushing power is coming in really handy!! I cleared out an area about 75'x75' in the matter of minutes. Then I fired up my DR Brush mower and in no time at all I made myself a new landing area to stack wood!! I've already gotten back into the rhythm with the hoe so it's not so jerky, lol. Spent about 2 hours on it the other day and dug 6 stumps. Kicking myself for clear cutting the lot before I bought the machine...but to be honest I never really planned on buying one till it popped up on CL 15 miles from the house. The quotes for excavating were just about the same as the cost of the machine. My buddy came over and checked it out and where he works he can make new hoses so he's gonna hook me up and go through all the hose one at a time.

I'm already asking myself, why didn't you buy one of these years ago??!! lol
Plus not to mention when I want to "get away" from the house, I can just say I'm going to work on the pasture! It's like playing in the sand as a boy again. :cool:

It's like playing in the sand as a boy again. :cool:

Sounds good. I often wish that there was a place on my property where nobody could see me and I could take out the old Tonka trucks every once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.