Got my new SUPERSPLIT J model and not impressed. Am I doing something wrong?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I've ordered my Supersplit on October, 10 and received yesterday. It was crated very nicely. I was super exited to put it together after two, yes , two month of waiting. The one of the first steps after uncrating was to install the table on a beam.
Surprise!!! The holes on a table and a beam are not aligning. If you put one side on, the other side is impossible to put. And its not the case when you can install bolts loosely and than force it somehow . The holes on a table is off about 1/4 inch.
I'm so disappointed. For $ 3100 I was expecting more from USA made machine. The table itself costs $300.
Look at the pics, Tell me that I'm doing something wrong, please.

6AB09FD0-35AC-41BE-B8F2-FB56A8745A43.jpeg 28D6DF4E-8C3D-477F-9E21-D4BAB73BFEE8.png DC0394AC-0129-470F-BA74-9A646C153B84.jpeg F1A47008-D4B2-4238-A2F9-451DC9868858.jpeg 827E4A50-DB19-4DDA-8B44-E2C3D59A9D16.jpeg FD58FE5E-E976-44FA-BB93-AFDBE8B5AB6E.jpeg 9D12C284-118C-4816-972B-3FF7DDA1B854.jpeg BA1710D0-CE00-4D53-8AF1-1E7BB90C5500.jpeg 57CCB677-67FE-4EFA-9C65-4A6FA66DD9FE.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: mcdougy
A lot of companies outsource, even if it's to a weld shop down the road, and only do assembly work in house. It costs money to make weld fixtures and enforce quality control, and a lot of companies refuse. With low to medium quantities maybe those can't be cost justified and still compete, even with the higher sales price. They should have slotted one of the holes to ensure a fit if they weren't willing to check and refuse their bad parts. Get a drill out and make it fit.

Yeah that's not right. I'd just drill out the holes to make it fit. I'd also send an email to Supersplit with those photos, maybe they're not even aware of the issue. If they are that far behind they are probably rushing to get units out the door, then mistakes happen.

Reactions: Sawset
Yeah that's not right. I'd just drill out the holes to make it fit. I'd also send an email to Supersplit with those photos, maybe they're not even aware of the issue. If they are that far behind they are probably rushing to get units out the door, then mistakes happen.
It’s an easy fix, just didnt expect this on a 3k machine made in a shop. I have similar problem with my log holder on hydraulic county line splitter from Tlc. It was Chinese and i got it for $700 on sale. Almost half of the price of Super Split table. Never had a problem with it, by the way.

Just give that RS mounting tab a hit with a hammer and call it done. Easy Peasy.

Reactions: JimBear
Appears to have gotten a little tweaked along the way. Bend it back or hog out the holes a bit and don't give it a 2nd thought.

Working with racecar parts, I deal with this kind of stuff regularly. Just dial it in and run that thing.

That’s annoying, I’d be pissed. I’d want someone at my house to explain this. If it was second hand that would be acceptable. I don’t do social media how about posting up something on the Facebook about this. Also can you leave a comment or horrible review.

That’s annoying, I’d be pissed. I’d want someone at my house to explain this. If it was second hand that would be acceptable. I don’t do social media how about posting up something on the Facebook about this. Also can you leave a comment or horrible review.

Call the company and give them the chance to fix it first. Everyone makes mistakes, it's what the company does to rectify the mistakes that should matter.

Wow.
Please tell the group. Who’s fault is it that something got tweaked in shipping? Mine came assembled.

Ran into a guy just like that last night...
I deliver fuel,he wanted to be a customer that gets filled on a schedule,his house is on the section of town that gets done the last week of the month.Oh wait i can't call it the last week of the month because some people are sensitive in being "last". So i changed it to 4th week of the month which was working good until that guy last night.Now i will refer to the month in quarters ;)
Anyhow said guy txts me last night,my house is cold i need fuel the Toyo says it's out of fuel. I reply have you diped your tank,because it';s -26 and my truck isn't pluged in.He comes back in a bit yes i have 20" of fuel in the tank.So i reply looks like a stove issue to me.
Then he gets all accusing about my delivery which was supposed to be the 4th week of the month,how i better bring him fuel in the morning like i said i was going to.
He continued to focus his frustrations on me and my fuel delivery which have zero to do with the fact his house is cooling down.
I came real close to telling him to pound sand,but i didn't rise to his level of frustration.He finally saw that i was not part of his problem,and he better call the furnace repair people that i texted him about.
Fuggin Millenials too bad Covid didn't target them instead of old people with maners

Ran into a guy just like that last night...
I deliver fuel,he wanted to be a customer that gets filled on a schedule,his house is on the section of town that gets done the last week of the month.Oh wait i can't call it the last week of the month because some people are sensitive in being "last". So i changed it to 4th week of the month which was working good until that guy last night.Now i will refer to the month in quarters ;)
Anyhow said guy txts me last night,my house is cold i need fuel the Toyo says it's out of fuel. I reply have you diped your tank,because it';s -26 and my truck isn't pluged in.He comes back in a bit yes i have 20" of fuel in the tank.So i reply looks like a stove issue to me.
Then he gets all accusing about my delivery which was supposed to be the 4th week of the month,how i better bring him fuel in the morning like i said i was going to.
He continued to focus his frustrations on me and my fuel delivery which have zero to do with the fact his house is cooling down.
I came real close to telling him to pound sand,but i didn't rise to his level of frustration.He finally saw that i was not part of his problem,and he better call the furnace repair people that i texted him about.
Fuggin Millenials too bad Covid didn't target them instead of old people with maners
Where do you think he learned the lack of manners from? Rude behavior knows no age, work in the food service industry and you will see it. Generally young people tip better as well.

FYI, I bought a new CountyLine 40ton splitter new in crate a month or two ago. When I got it home I noticed some minimal damage, most likely from shipping. Everything went together and it works as it should. The beam is just tilted a wee bit and hardly noticeable unless you know what to look for. I called TSC and sent them pictures. I was hoping for a couple hundred $$ off. They ended up giving me WAY more off than that. I ended up paying $800 for a $2,000 splitter. They gave me the option of replacing the whole thing or keeping this one with a steep discount. It was a no-brainer to me!

Call them and see what they can do. If they are a decent company, they should be able to do something.

If you're in the business, you've likely seen more shipping damage in the past 10 months, but especially the last 6 than anytime in our companies history.

Guess what. Worldwide Pandemic. Everything is being shipped. Stuff is getting damaged. Daily.

Deal with it. Be glad you got it at all. I'm waiting on hundreds of parts right now that I can't get because of shortages, shipping problems, supplier problems, etc..

Man up and fix that chit and start splitting wood.

Man up and fix that chit
Like back in the days when GM advertised their service departments as a selling point. I'd be careful about pushing junk with excuses. Where I'm at they were pushing hard due to all of those reasons. But all it took was a couple $20k mistakes to pull back and bump the QC that wasn't being done. I'm not sure I buy that this would be shipping - a heavy angle iron weldment? How many story drop to bend it, or forklift hit it - maybe, but if it's QC, not sure I would condone it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Ok, Update. I got a response from the owner.

Hello Dmitry,

My apologies for the misaligned holes. That was my fault.

I made a new jig to weld the tables on our welding robot and didn’t account for all the variables on the first batch of tables that went through.

We are slotting the holes on the table with a 3/8” round file. Another option is to clamp the table in place with a vice grip and use a 3/8 drill to ream them out.

The front holes can be spread slightly if the misalignment isn’t too bad but the four holes under the wedge are not going to budge and will need to be slotted or reamed.

If you are not equipped or inclined to do what it takes to install the table then I will take come to you and do the work myself. Again I apologize for the error and take full responsibility for it.

Good response. Sucks that it happened, but shouldn't affect your splitters operation at all when it gets addressed.

Good response. Sucks that it happened, but shouldn't affect your splitters operation at all when it gets addressed.
Honestly, it's not affecting it now, I've bolted one side and played with it today. What a fun machine.

Good to hear. Couldn't see or tell the root cause of the problem from the pics alone. Glad they owned up to it. Rock that splitter!

Reactions: JimBear
Where do you think he learned the lack of manners from? Rude behavior knows no age, work in the food service industry and you will see it. Generally young people tip better as well.

That's pretty much what my wife says . . . she says for all the complaints folks make about younger generations (and make no mistake -- we've all been doing this for a very long time) we need to first look at who brought these children up.

Ya, those dang mirrors don't lie. Being in the service industry all my life - I still have not heard it all and that is 50+ years worth.

So....group. It wasn’t damaged in shipping, the company admitted they messed up. Thankfully they gave a resolution. Un bunch panties now.
Yup. Took longer to complain and post it on the internet than to fix it.
Unbunched is still a little tight in the seat.

Reactions: Rob711
That's pretty much what my wife says . . . she says for all the complaints folks make about younger generations (and make no mistake -- we've all been doing this for a very long time) we need to first look at who brought these children up.
No consequences for you actions is what the problem is...
When i grew up if you did something wrong you got a swat,don't like a swat don't do the things that get you swatted.Same in school you were an ass to the teacher,or didn't compile with the rules,there were consequences.
So right now if you are in California,apparently if you get caught stealing,and it's under $5000.00 you will not get prosecuted.This is what i have heard from people living there
That's whats wrong nowadays...
Riots in your citys for months on end,WTF is that crap.
De-fund the police FFS sure that will work great
Nowadays you cannot bring your children up with out guberment interfering.The kids know it and they effectively tell you to pound sand when it comes to discipline.Fug all you can do about it when the relationship is at that point.
Watching it real time with my girlfriends kid,been around him a year now and he has the system figured for his gain.He has no interest in going to school,uses the "i am an adult" card whenever it's conviniant.
But put him in an adult situation and he will be crying for Mommy every time to save his ass because he is an idiot,

No consequences for you actions is what the problem is...
When i grew up if you did something wrong you got a swat,don't like a swat don't do the things that get you swatted.Same in school you were an ass to the teacher,or didn't compile with the rules,there were consequences.
So right now if you are in California,apparently if you get caught stealing,and it's under $5000.00 you will not get prosecuted.This is what i have heard from people living there
That's whats wrong nowadays...
Riots in your citys for months on end,WTF is that crap.
De-fund the police FFS sure that will work great
Nowadays you cannot bring your children up with out guberment interfering.The kids know it and they effectively tell you to pound sand when it comes to discipline.Fug all you can do about it when the relationship is at that point.
Watching it real time with my girlfriends kid,been around him a year now and he has the system figured for his gain.He has no interest in going to school,uses the "i am an adult" card whenever it's conviniant.
But put him in an adult situation and he will be crying for Mommy every time to save his ass because he is an idiot,
But where did he learn that from? It's not like we are born with these types of skills and coping methods. Honestly though, tell me where the government interferes with child raising. Maybe schools have regulations and rules, but if you don't like them, be responsible and home school your child.

If you get a puppy that grows up into a dog that bites strangers, who's fault is that? It's the same thing with humans. Raise them to be assholes and they will be assholes.