Got my new toy and now dissapointed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
went by tsc to get my 22 ton splitter for 999.... well they have a speeco 25 ton for the same price! this holds more hyd fluid and has a speeco engine on it..... the guy swears by them all so i figure go with speeco even though huskee is really speeco.....well i get home fire it up, and it is loud... my friends mtd is much quieter.... and when i ran the engine hard and the ram is retracted anything on it that can move rattles like hell.... i went to the speeco site and dont even see mine on there.... it did split the wood .... but it just wasnt what i was hoping for....

it was rattling very bad but the minute i extend the ram it stops .... the safety chains anything thst can move will rattle ..my fear is its vibrating so muchh it will fall apart

The minimum wage/minmum understanding kids in the store are the ones who assembled it out of the boxes. Go over it thoroughly and tighten everything. Rick

fossil said:
The minimum wage/minmum understanding kids in the store are the ones who assembled it out of the boxes. Go over it thoroughly and tighten everything. Rick

ok will try this afternoon and see what happens

Don't be discouraged...that's the way things are today. Do what fossil says and as you get familiar with the equipment perhaps you can isolate some vibrations with rubber mountings. A splitter for less than a grand isn't a bad purchase. Let us know how things work out and good luck with it iceman. When I got my splitter it was like I lost my virginity all over again.

thats a great price, fossil right

If there is still too much vibration after tightening everything up, you may be able to easily isolate the motor/pump package.
If the engine is mounted to a plate with 5/16 or 3/8 bolts, drill out the plate to 3/4 inch holes, deburr the corners, and use vib mounts from Grainger. They are $4 x 4 pcs and very easy to mount. I have done several this way, they a bit underloaded with only an engine on it but they certanly help. I don't have the grainger number here, have it on my computer at work. will add later.

Edit and pasted in.
Note: assumes pump is mounted to bell housing adaptor mount off engine, not separately to the base plate. Pump and engine must be rigidly mounted together to hold alignment.

ENGINE add vibration isolator mounts,
Grainger 5XK44 is a common, two piece, center bonded mount, that use a ¾ inch hole in the base, 3/8 bolts for motor mounting. (4) required, about $4 each. These are quite stiff for the weight of a 5 hp engine, but are the smallest Grainger had in stock. With steel through bolt and sleeve, and washer on both sides, the engine is positively restrained in case of rubber deterioration. Simple to use: Just drill out the original motor mount holes in the splitter to 3/4 inch, deburr and install. Raises the engine slightly. My 18 hp engine is more in the weight rating and the mounts are quite effective. I used the mounts between engine and power unit frame, and also between power unit and trailer frame. Makes a sweet and quiet running package.

kcj

savageactor7 said:
.... When I got my splitter it was like I lost my virginity all over again.

I guess that says something about me still pounding away on my maul.... ;-(

Is the TSC near you?
If so, after tightening all the bolts and if that still rattles, I'd be taking the unit back for a new one. Just doesn;t seem right to redrill and modify a brand new unit.
Good luck!

kevin j said:
If there is still too much vibration after tightening everything up, you may be able to easily isolate the motor/pump package.
If the engine is mounted to a plate with 5/16 or 3/8 bolts, drill out the plate to 3/4 inch holes, deburr the corners, and use vib mounts from Grainger. They are $4 x 4 pcs and very easy to mount. I have done several this way, they a bit underloaded with only an engine on it but they certanly help. I don't have the grainger number here, have it on my computer at work. will add later.

kcj
Very often, the motor mounts to the base, and the pump separately mounts to the base. Unless the pump mounts directly to the motor, I would not mess with the motor mounts. Check the alignment and gap of the lovejoy coupling. It could be the source of the vibration. When it is vibrating, apply hand pressure to the wedge to see if it is the source of the noise. The wedge floats on the beam and the dynamics of it change as it extends.

My splitter has the trunnion mount cylinder and when retracted, it raises the wedge slightly and will sometimes rattle. As the ram extends, the weight of the wedge is further out like a kid sliding back on a teeter totter and the rattle stops.

agree with both. first option is return it if there is a defect. And any 'normal' rattling parts may be just the machines personality.
I assumed the mechanical basics are covered first, the machine is up to spec, just that the basic design is cheap and can be improved. Most consumer splitters I have seen (except the swisher belt drive) mount pump to engine with an adaptor and thus the package is aligned, bolted to machine frame with motor mount bolts. edited above accordingly. kcj

Speeco lists four models with 25 tons and three of them have the pump mounted under the engine. Only one has it on the side. I would call TSC right away and put on record that there is an issue with the splitter and then try working with Speeco tech support to determine if your expectations need a realignment.

ok , i called tsc and the guy was friendly and said " i told you yesterday i wasnt sure about that motor because the unit was a speeco they never had before... with a speeco engine so he didnt even know who made it" which was true , however my splitter isnt on the web site the pump is on the side and the engine is mounted just like the 28 ton with the honda just a smaller engine
http://www.speeco.com/products/?CurOpen=Log Splitters#Log Splitters,28 Ton/401117N0-28 Ton Log Splitter
the guy at tsc said he was putting together another and was gonna run it to see if he got the same results.... in not he told me he would switch it, and if so he told me to come get the 22 ton or get the 28 and he would take a 100 off but 1399 isnt really what i wanna pay so we will see
just checked the engine it is a loncin engine
everything is tight started it again and the chains and hitch connection just rattle on ... the engine seems to be mounted on with four bolts and it is steel -steel so maybe some anti vibe might work... but the engine itself is still MUCH lounder than the briggs or honda on comparable models that i have heard

iceman said:
ok , i called tsc and the guy was friendly and said " i told you yesterday i wasnt sure about that motor because the unit was a speeco they never had before... with a speeco engine so he didnt even know who made it" which was true , however my splitter isnt on the web site the pump is on the side and the engine is mounted just like the 28 ton with the honda just a smaller engine
http://www.speeco.com/products/?CurOpen=Log Splitters#Log Splitters,28 Ton/401117N0-28 Ton Log Splitter
the guy at tsc said he was putting together another and was gonna run it to see if he got the same results.... in not he told me he would switch it, and if so he told me to come get the 22 ton or get the 28 and he would take a 100 off but 1399 isnt really what i wanna pay so we will see
just checked the engine it is a loncin engine

Opinions on Speeco splitters.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...peeco+wood+splitters&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Zap

it seems everyone loves them maybe i just got a bad one (if indeed something is wrong) but it seems to me that speeco is "changing the lineup" do know much about loncin engines but it isnt as beefy as the briggs or honda .. so maybe speeco is trying to cut back cost

the troybilt is now 1329 -10% so its 1196 with the honda engine so i am leaning towards that now or the homedepot version thats 1249-10%

I have the 22 ton spee co over the 25 ton. Mine has the larger resivior though. It is much quieter then the 25 ton and has never let me down...

Ice don't worry about the chains or hitch rattling ...that don't mean anything!

Are you wearing ear protectors? If not get some asap.

the "new" 25 ton has a more fluid than the 22 it looks like the 28 ton except it has 22 ton beam and the small loncin engine everything else is the same as the 28 ton has a bigger resevoir prolly the same size as the older speecos had before this generation

iceman said:
the troybilt is now 1329 -10% so its 1196 with the honda engine so i am leaning towards that now or the homedepot version thats 1249-10%

I have the troybilt unit and my only knock is the slow cycle time.

rdust said:
iceman said:

decisions
but i don't think there are many splitters under 1500 with a good let alone fast cycle time

iceman said:
rdust said:
iceman said:

decisions
but i don't think there are many splitters under 1500 with a good let alone fast cycle time

cycle time is over rated I have the troy built it runs longer than I can.

iceman said:
decisions

This is true although I thought the husky 22 ton was 14 seconds vs. 19 seconds of the troybilt 27 ton. Not a bunch but I think it adds up over 10 cords. I'm completely happy with it other then that and I'd buy it again. I have a pretty good system worked out now that allows me to work pretty quick.

rdust said:
iceman said:
decisions

This is true although I thought the husky 22 ton was 14 seconds vs. 19 seconds of the troybilt 27 ton. Not a bunch but I think it adds up over 10 cords. I'm completely happy with it other then that and I'd buy it again. I have a pretty good system worked out now that allows me to work pretty quick.

done 5 cords in 5 1/2 hrs. today i dont think we used a full cycle more than 1/2 the time and wecome the few second breather for sure on the other 1/2 of the time

Take it back if your not happy. It will always bother you. I have a laptop computer that I wish I had returned. Now I'm stuck with it and the whole
family complains about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.