got new trailer axle installed..... but ....... made a boo boo!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodButcher80

Feeling the Heat
hey guys...
got the new 3500lb axle installed. was so excited about my nice weld beads on my leaf spring hanger mounts, i didnt realize i welded the wider ones in the back, and the movable shackle mounts towards the front of the axle !!! argggg.....

if you dont know what i mean, heres a diagram in the second pic, that says front and rear : http://www.etrailer.com/c-ls.htm

i did the opposite. in other words, my pivot spring mount is in the front!

then i began to think.... who cares.... right? i mean as long as the spring has the ability and room to flex till its flat, it doesnt matter it its flipped.... as long as both sides of the trailer are the same, right?

if im ok , i wonder why its been tradition to put the pivot mount towards the rear.... hmmmm.

just curious on your thoughts.....

thanks!

I'd be worried they might chatter in heavy braking.

LLigetfa said:
I'd be worried they might chatter in heavy braking.

we shall find out this week , as i plan on getting a load... but i highly doubt itll chatter since braking would be a lateral motion, not downward.

then again, who knows, the load can make it go down and forward... but i dont plan on doing that heavy of braking too often. .

who knows. nice thinking though! didnt think of that.

all i know so far is that it pulls quieter and smoother than my 4" drop axle i got rid of... but now theres a giant gap between my fenders and tires.. oh well ... looks like a truck lift kit for the trailer !

The mounts being installed reverse of how they are designed to be used will cause extra strain on the suspension. The spring when properly mounted will lenghten 1/2 to 1 inch between the spring eyes when loaded. When the tire hits a bump it swings back and away from the source of impact. When the mounts are reversed the tire on impact is forced forward into the bump.
Imagine the motion involved when catching a raw egg. Back and up is fine . Forward and up will leave you with egg on your face.

Don't worry about it, it will be fine. Jeeps steer axles were mounted that way for years. The trailer I just built is built that way, no problems. The springs will flex just fine, they don't care which end moves...

triptester....
what you say makes sense and i get it , but the more i think of it... trailers have been made without leaf springs for decades and are still on the road doing just fine, so by the time your theory impacts me, i think ill have a new trailer.. also look at the torsion axle.... that dips straight down and up, no up up and away !

widowmaker....
thats funny u bring up jeeps. cus when i did a keyword search on google i typed 'shackle reversal' and jeeps came up and the pros and cons of standard and reversal. . . i also have a cherokee.
thanks for the big relief... i figured the springs wouldnt mind ! :)

No use agueing logistics, load the thing down then jam on the brakes and see what happens. Talking about it won't do anything....................

WoodMann said:
Talking about it won't do anything....................

well, ill be loading this thing down this week, so we shall see.

oh ...... and btw......"talking about it" is the whole foundation of this site , and the only reason its here :) .... thanks for all who helped!

good news.

went 50 miles today with about 3000lbs in it, not too much and she did fine. braked as hard as i could. no chatter, just smooth. well now we know . case closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.