Got some wood...What did I got?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes what everyone is calling Ash is no doubt about it Tulip Poplar........

Your second set of pictures with the splits is great. I grew up in central va (cumberland county) and am familar with all of that wood:

1. Red oak
2. Red maple
3. Sweet gum
4. Red aok - little bigger or older piece so has rougher bark
5. tulip poplar

I'm pretty confident with all of those guesses

I think that is a really great mix of firewood you have.

#1 is definately not maple, ring space shows it is fast growing, not oak either.
The piece that the splits are laying on in #4 is different than the wood in question. Same as pic #2, very bottom could be walnut or possibly cherry, underneath the beech.
#4 American cherry?, (From branches, not trunk).

Cherry has the typical cherry smell when split, same as most oak species, distinct smell of really good firewood!!!!

It all looks good, if the really light stuff is aspen, be carefull, heard it burns hot and fast.

nola mike said:
A coworker's guess:
#1: Maple
#2:Beech
#3: Dogwood
#4: Oak
#5: Poplar

I Agree.

wow, glad this is as difficult for everyone else as me.
@flint: interesting. Like i said, 1 & 4 seem VERY similar. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they're the same. #3 as sweet gum interesting as well; looks like dogwood is pretty high in btus, so I assume dense. This stuff is much lighter/less dense than 1/2/4. Gum makes sense for that. Additional clue is that #2 split very cleanly, #3 less so, #1/4 less still.
@KS: yeah, there's walnut underneath. Not part of this load though. And holly under #3. I've got the UN of wood apparently.
@CT: I can tell you where the knots are, if that helps, but aren't you talking about smallest branches with the leaves? If so, can't help.

The molted look of the lichen on #1 looks like maple
the bark scaring on #2 appears to be beech
3 bark and split pattern (chunking off) sweet gum
4 could be pin/red oak maybe ash- really no sure on that one
5 is most certainly poplar as is the large log in the first set of pics
Poplar burns fast but is great on bed of coals in the am/evening to get the fire going again but watch out it pops and throws cynders without warning

LoL

As I read down through this thread I was at first glad to see how much help and how easy it will be for me to get the same type of question answered.
Then the answer changed and I figured that this is cool, and to be expected. Everyone will come to agreement on the correction and the wood is ID'd

But then... LOL

It sounds like a room full of blind men touching an elephant and trying to ID it... (one gets the trunk, one a leg, one an ear..another a tusk....body...tail...)
No offense intended and I understand the difficulty...but it is funny none the less.

Don

mxjamie540 said:
I think what everyone is calling ash is actually Tulip Poplar otherwise known as yellow poplar. Just my .02

Yes! The first one to nail it. That is Tulip (Yellow) Poplar.

But some of the splits shown later, the ones with the smooth bark, look like some sort of Maple.

mxjamie540 said:
Ash has a more defined deeper diamond grid pattern, much like expanded metal grate. The furrows of this particular bark are not deep enough to be ash IMHO

Good catch. I'll change my vote to tulip poplar.

FLINT said:
Your second set of pictures with the splits is great. I grew up in central va (cumberland county) and am familar with all of that wood:

1. Red oak
2. Red maple
3. Sweet gum
4. Red aok - little bigger or older piece so has rougher bark
5. tulip poplar

I'm pretty confident with all of those guesses

I think that is a really great mix of firewood you have.

I'm telling you dude, this is what you have. at least thats what those splits are. I grew up in central VA and my parents still live, and have cut firewood there for 20 years.

@ Flint:
I believe you. On closer inspection, 1 and 4 seem to be the same. 3 I'll take your word for it. 2 I'm a bit surprised--it's really wet and heavy, splits real easy. For some reason I thought maple would be more like the oak. Again, on closer inspection, #5 is for sure poplar.

Status
Not open for further replies.