Got the Wood Stove Installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC

Got my shiny new Jotul installed yesterday in the log cabin I am building.

I remember you talking about building your cabin and looking forward to installing this stove... must be almost a year ago now?

It looks really great. Are they more stones from the river in the hearth? Will that wooden wall get warm enough to scent the room a little?

You will have a great winter in that cabin. I'd love to see a pic of the outside too :)

Reactions: Beer Belly
Hello, Fiona, my Celtic buddy! Us Celts have to stick together.

This pic is two months old, have finished a lot more work since then. I didn't get rocks from the creek, I bought them from a rock company. I did build the masonry hearth. I don't think the walls will heat up much, the stove meets or exceeds clearance specs and I will install a copper heat shield. Anyway, there's about 47 tons of wood in that house, no sheet rock, so it pretty much smells like white pine no matter what.

Reactions: quotejso and fespo
Looks just amazing. And looks like there must be pretty good views too.

Will you be able to use the side door on the stove, or are you happy loading from the front?

Here is the view from my porch in January.
I have avidly read the many stories on this forum about the Jotul 500 in the right hand corner install, and loading with the side door.
I like to go by the book unless the book seems stupid to me, and then, I am the first to throw the book out the window and do it my own way.
I will certainly load with the side door. I opened the door yesterday and it swings right past the wall, goes completely open. I can't see any risk of fire due to loading with the side door.

Besides, I am going to put a copper heat shield on that wall.
I was concerned that my stove install guy would refuse to do the install because of the side door "problem." Either he didn't know or didn't care for he didn't bring it up.

That view is Heaven. May you feel blessed every time you see it.

With regard to the jotul 500 corner install / side door clearance thing... I think it's becoming increasingly hard these days to discern what parts of manuals etc are driven purely by safety requirements and what parts are driven by the growing culture of money (insurance companies) and litigation. All we can do is each plough our own furrow, make an informed choice and take our chances with the hold the money men have. I frequently get interested all over again in how different the installation requirements and safety advice is in US Jotul manuals compared to the European ones, even though, I presume, the laws of physics are the same on both sides of the pond.

Will you get you own firewood from that beautiful land?

Last edited:
Looks great!. Enjoy.

Yes Fiona I have 39 acres and it is all trees except for the driveway and the house. I cut down black walnut, maple and locust and don't have to go more than 300 feet from my house.

Those are some really big timbers! They absolutely dwarf the F500, making it look like an F100 or something... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.