Gotta Make Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zap, they seem to really like elms. Look around for dead/dying elm trees, if the conditions are right you should find morels.

I love them morels dipped in egg, little flour and fried in butter on a hot iron skillet!!

Zap, they seem to really like elms. Look around for dead/dying elm trees, if the conditions are right you should find morels.

I love them morels dipped in egg, little flour and fried in butter on a hot iron skillet!!
When I talked with the previous owner (our neighbor) he told me they had Elm back on the property, once the disease hit they cut it. I'll look in that area.

How does that work, you get then cleaned up then a wind storm comes through. I bet you have more stuff down.

No doubt about it. If you have trails in the woods, it is a constant task just keeping them open.

Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
No doubt about it. If you have trails in the woods, it is a constant task just keeping them open.

I know how that goes,even with just 10 acres to take care of.But its worth it.

Pretty much same here,sometimes its just butter with out flour or egg yolk.Chopped up stirred in various pasta sauces too.

I feel lucky,I have at least 5 plastic peanut butter jars full of dehydrated ones since 2007 in cupboard.Each one labeled & dated.They are great in mid winter in sauces,stews etc.Crumbled to a coarse powder,a little goes a long way.I shudder to think what they'd cost me at retail shop or specialty grocer - last I checked it was around $15 for a 1 OUNCE bag of dried ones! !!!

One thing I've discovered over the years (and I'm no mushroom biologist either) is that they can be heavily found around the bases of elms of most any size,once the trees start dying.But within 3-4 yrs after tree is completely dead,the mushrooms are gone,either depleted or moved on to another host.I've had good luck in railroad & rural right of ways/ditches,recently disturbed or burnt over areas,near old or dying apple trees,low hilsides near damp but not totally swampy areas- various oaks,hickory,even near maple or mulberry,but not necessarily growing on those logs or right up next to them.They can fool you - find some one year in a 'non traditional' spot,next year no more.

But that's part of the fun,not to mention frustrating ;lol

There's not much rhyme or reason to where "Fungi" grow. We went to Michigan last year and the Host tree has become the dying Ash trees by the thousands. (Due to the Emerald Ash Bore) I always like low lying areas and sides of mountains and ravines. Old strip mining areas are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.