Grandma bear running time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Things we're misrepresented for sure. But the temporary "repairs" lasted just long enough for us to not have a legal leg to stand on. I went through our house with the home inspector, every step of the way, and the contractor that was hired by the seller did a good job of hiding his shady work. Most of it is taken care of now, execpt for some plumbing repairs. Looking back, I don't see anything we could've done differently to find those hidden little secrets before buying the house. This was our 3rd house purchase, and our 2nd house was 30 years older than this one. This house was built in 1930.
This one had plenty of problems as well but mainly cosmetic stuff. I did completely replace all of the water supplies and drains simply because I was relocating stuff and it wasn't worth it to work with what was there. But it did work fine. It was only built in the 70s though and only 2 previous owners.

Reactions: Piney and Todd67
What new stove do they have. For the record most new stoves do fantastic on soft woods. If they are loading every 2 to 4 hours they are either running the stove completely wrong of their stove is drastically undersized for their home. I have burnt a wide range of stoves from old fishers to early secondary combustion stoves tube stoves and now running a cat stove. And your concerns are completely unfounded.

I hear you.

Rsf, pacific
Perhaps they are indeed undersized, perhaps it can get too cold which is just another undersized thing for sure. We often have the greatest temp diurnal swing on the continent so that complicates things too.
I'm good with my fisher.

I hear you.

Rsf, pacific
Perhaps they are indeed undersized, perhaps it can get too cold which is just another undersized thing for sure. We often have the greatest temp diurnal swing on the continent so that complicates things too.
I'm good with my fisher.
I am happy your fisher works well for you. I am not saying you should do anything different. But you can't possibly say it works better than a modern stove when you have no experience with anything but old stoves.

I remember cold temps like that in the interior of Alaska in the late 1980's. It was common to have night time lows of -60F without the wind, and daytime highs of -30 without figuring in wind chill.

Fort Greely was no joke with our old school field gear and canvas 5-man Arctic tents with gas-fired Yukon Stoves. I learned a LOT about cold weather survival, being in a Light Infantry Scout Platoon.

Reactions: Piney
I am happy your fisher works well for you. I am not saying you should do anything different. But you can't possibly say it works better than a modern stove when you have no experience with anything but old stoves.

I hear you and accept your information. I have read much about the new efficiency etc etc but all we can do, though, is establish the various real world criteria that matters to us and do the research which, for me, was reading the marketing literature, the user reports and quizzing the neighbours who bought the cadillacs. I'm satisfied the new stoves are great. Just not great enough for me to switch. I see how clean the pacific energy stoves are and the guy with the rsf energy also gets great burn times. Both have big stoves but only heat single story 600-800 sq ft houses. They do a good job. When it's desperately cold I compare my big place to their little places and can't see the outlay as worth it for me. Of course, ymmv.

I hear you and accept your information. I have read much about the new efficiency etc etc but all we can do, though, is establish the various real world criteria that matters to us and do the research which, for me, was reading the marketing literature, the user reports and quizzing the neighbours who bought the cadillacs. I'm satisfied the new stoves are great. Just not great enough for me to switch. I see how clean the pacific energy stoves are and the guy with the rsf energy also gets great burn times. Both have big stoves but only heat single story 600-800 sq ft houses. They do a good job. When it's desperately cold I compare my big place to their little places and can't see the outlay as worth it for me. Of course, ymmv.
And i am by no means saying you should switch. If your stove does what you need safely there is no need for you to switch at all. I do this for a living and come across good deals from time to time so i switch out stoves pretty often. I think it really helps me do my job to run lots of different stoves. But my situation is unique. I do think that if many guys running old stoves tried a properly sized modern one with dry wood they would be amazed by the difference

Last edited:
I remember cold temps like that in the interior of Alaska in the late 1980's. It was common to have night time lows of -60F without the wind, and daytime highs of -30 without figuring in wind chill.

Fort Greely was no joke with our old school field gear and canvas 5-man Arctic tents with gas-fired Yukon Stoves. I learned a LOT about cold weather survival, being in a Light Infantry Scout Platoon.

Yes! It was like that up through the 1980s. Warmer now. I detested being outside in the -60s. Truth is I don't like the -50s either and am glad they're both rare now. But I dislike just under freezing too. Too much humidity when it's that warm.

Reactions: Todd67
And i am by no means saying you should switch. If your stove does what you need safely there is no need for you to switch at all. I do this for a living and come across good deals from time to time so i switch out stoves pretty often. I think it really helps me do my job to run lots of different stoves. But my situation is unique.

It certainly would give you the real world background to make good recommendations for your locale. Must give people a lot of peace of mind given the money involved.

It certainly would give you the real world background to make good recommendations for your locale. Must give people a lot of peace of mind given the money involved.
It does give me a hood understanding of different stoves. I only sell one brand but install and work on many so the more i know the better.

And modern stoves give you more heat from each peice of wood. That is a good thing. But to heat your place in your climate you would need a pretty large stove so it would not be cheap.

It does give me a hood understanding of different stoves. I only sell one brand but install and work on many so the more i know the better.

And modern stoves give you more heat from each peice of wood. That is a good thing. But to heat your place in your climate you would need a pretty large stove so it would not be cheap.

For sure.
And, of course, I'm heating that 8" chimney too. That feature can eat up wood. Though I've got tricks to minimize that impact and we compare notes up here and wood usage, overall, is acceptable.
Trust me, we jealously eye each other up and meticulously count cords over beers!

Reactions: Todd67 and bholler
For sure.
And, of course, I'm heating that 8" chimney too. That feature can eat up wood. Though I've got tricks to minimize that impact and we compare notes up here and wood usage, overall, is acceptable.
Trust me, we jealously eye each other up and meticulously count cords over beers!
There are some really nice big stoves that would run great on that 8" chimney. The regency 5100 the bk king the kuma sequoia and the big buck stove i think it is the 91.