Green Mountain 40 Bypass Door Gasket Rope

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NivekW

Apr 21, 2021
Denver, CO
Hello!

Looking for recommendations on the best way to reattach this gasket rope to the inside of the bypass door. Not sure if it was originally placed with a sealant or just sat there. Thanks in advance!

bypass_door.jpeg

Hello!

Looking for recommendations on the best way to reattach this gasket rope to the inside of the bypass door. Not sure if it was originally placed with a sealant or just sat there. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 278017
Probably having some sealant on it, just rub it with your fingers and you could feel the rude parts of the sealant on it. After having cleaned the channel groove for the rope gasket. You're beter to use HT silicone to put it back in place, HT silicone don't get hard like liquid cement used when new.

Hello!

How do you like the GM40? We don't have a ton of green mountain users yet, reviews are welcome.

You're not the first one to have this issue. It was reported earlier with a GM60. I am not sure what they are using for an adhesive, but if you bump it while cleaning the gasket can just fall out like that. I suspect they may be using a gasket with the adhesive already applied like a self-stick, but not sure.

I think that area would get too hot for a silicone adhesive. It's right above a 1200º + firebox. Stove door temps are much lower. It would be good to contact Hearthstone support to find out what they recommend. Kevlar_vw would know.

We use adhesive backed rope gasket, and apply it using sodium silicate (waterglass). Rutland makes a high heat gasket adhesive as well.

Thx!