Grinding noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
Ok, my turn I guess, Every once in a while I am hearing a grinding noise. ( like when a fan hits something, I guess I would describe it)
Don't really see any pattern of when it does it. I tried dry creek pellets the other day and thought it could be those because some were very big and those pellets were harder than normal but those pellets are gone now.
Any thoughts

Loose panels? Convection fan rattling against the plenum it blows the air through? At least this is what my noise turned out to be. I forgot to tighten the bolts all the way, the last time I cleaned it.

Depends on how often you hear it.

If it is rhythmic like your feed system it could be pellets getting chomped by your auger, your auger, auger bushings, or auger motor.
Or if it is more constant it could be one of your blowers.

My was making some noise last week. Kind of a squealing/shrieking noise.
Turned out it was combustion crud built up under my impeller.
I only noticed it when lighting a cold stove.
It was quiet when everything was warm and expanded.

A good combustion path cleaning/scraping took care of the noise.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

My bet is on the auger chomping up big pellets. I had some that were bigger than normal and my stove sounded like the dog chewing dry food.

Status
Not open for further replies.