Guys...Is this a bad idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I ever mention that I hate through-the-wall installations? You might suffer the same disappointment as the original customer. If you know what you're getting yourself into, then it's a good deal. Personally, I would never do a TTW install.

Out of curiosity, what's the downside to the through the wall? Are you referring to the heat loss?

Unfortunatly, it would be way too much $$$ to do something in the interior of the house. I'm replacing a ZClearance FP so the exterior chase is already there.

Sounds like a go-fer to me. The ad says the original installed customer didn't like it. Sounds like an aesthetic issue. In your chase, only you can care how it looks.

southbalto said:
I'm replacing a ZClearance FP so the exterior chase is already there.
In that case do you still need a Tee? There are three things I don't like about TTW. 1, is the cold chase and creosote condensation. 2, is the loss of draft from the cold and the Tee. 3, is creosote can collect in the Tee.

I've had a chimney fire start in the Tee. My father's house burned down when his TTW chimney caught fire up at the roof penetration.

12 ft of flue on an exterior wall may not draw for poop, especially with a couple 90s between it and the stove. If the building and installation allows for adding another 4 ft of class A then this seems like a decent deal. Tell him you'll give him $500 if he adds the extra 4' of pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.