Had a slight incident. Have a few questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If it comes right off and you can see the piping underneath, you'll be fine.
Yes they probably will be but you do realize that burnt creosote comes right off many times to right.

Its never ok to burn green wood...buil up can happen in as little as week..I know as I have done that with a less than ideal situation born out of desperation a number of years ago. I had to clean weekly...what a PIA. But it had to be done...be safe!

IMG_20170131_175101.jpg IMG_20170131_174555.jpg
Took my pipe off again to show you what was in there.
First photo is looking up the pipe. The build up isn't an inch it's maybe a 1/4 to 1/2" at most. I don't have a brush yet(not burning until I sweep it), I just used a broom handle to k one it off.
Like I said, I can rub my hand in there and make it all shiny again.

The 2nd photo is what knocked off out of the pipe

Im going to take my rain cap off in a moment and I'll show that as well.

IMG_20170131_184327.jpg
Looking down the chimeny at the soft stuff that falls off

IMG_20170131_184335.jpg
The build up on the rain cap.
Also just under the cap outside the chimeny looks like actually sticky Unhardened tar, stained my fingers.
Tips on how to clean this?

Last edited:
Yes they probably will be but you do realize that burnt creosote comes right off many times to right.
Sure do, but what I am seeing in his example is not burnt creosote.

View attachment 193854 View attachment 193856
Took my pipe off again to show you what was in there.
First photo is looking up the pipe. The build up isn't an inch it's maybe a 1/4 to 1/2" at most. I don't have a brush yet(not burning until I sweep it), I just used a broom handle to k one it off.
Like I said, I can rub my hand in there and make it all shiny again.

The 2nd photo is what knocked off out of the pipe

Im going to take my rain cap off in a moment and I'll show that as well.

View attachment 193859
Looking down the chimeny at the soft stuff that falls off

View attachment 193860
The build up on the rain cap.
Also just under the cap outside the chimeny looks like actually sticky Unhardened tar, stained my fingers.
Tips on how to clean this?
What you have is typical, and in my opinion, is not alarming. You should definitely sweep it! And keep a close eye on it. What I am seeing is what you get when the wood being burnt, is not dry enough.

Sure do, but what I am seeing in his example is not burnt creosote.
It sure looks like it to me.

What you have is typical, and in my opinion, is not alarming. You should definitely sweep it! And keep a close eye on it. What I am seeing is what you get when the wood being burnt, is not dry enough.
You seriously think that is typical even with wet wood?

Get a nylon brush and a pole and sweep it weekly. You will get a feel for how often you actually need to do it that way.

That don't look like burnt creo, looks like flyash build up.

if its easy to get up top, get the brush and do it yourself on a regular basis. you might be able to do it from the bottom too, depending on the set up. thats what i do most of the time. i agree with hogwildz, it looks like a fly ash build up not creosote. brush it and you'll be better off.

I emailed my pictures to a chimney company to try to solve your guys back and forth lol.

They told me from the pictures it does not look like any chimney fire has happened and that it is most likely flyash mixed with some creo. They said that it is fairly common when burning very wet wood., I'm most likely around 50%+ for moisture.

They said as long as I burn it hot and sweep every 2ish weeks I will be fine for this year but don't do it again lol.

Y
It sure looks like it to me.

You seriously think that is typical even with wet wood?
Yeap, seen if several times, seen it here a few times when I first started burning 11 years ago.
The first couple years prior to getting ahead, I had to burn wetter wood, and had very similar results.
The only thing that changed over the years is burning 3 yr split & stacked wood. Never had the issue since.

Last edited:
Yeap, seen if several times, seen it here a few times when I first started burning 11 years ago.
Wet wood, low temp burns/smoldering, or a combination of the formentioned will do it.
I still say that absolutely looks like burnt creosote to me.

I emailed my pictures to a chimney company to try to solve your guys back and forth lol.

They told me from the pictures it does not look like any chimney fire has happened and that it is most likely flyash mixed with some creo. They said that it is fairly common when burning very wet wood., I'm most likely around 50%+ for moisture.

They said as long as I burn it hot and sweep every 2ish weeks I will be fine for this year but don't do it again lol.
Agreed

I still say that absolutely looks like burnt creosote to me.
I don't see it, so we can agree to disagree. The important thing is for the OP to check & clean regularly, till he gets ahead with good dry wood, and doesn't have to worry about it anymore.. &/or improves his burning habits.

Reactions: bholler
The important thing is for the OP to check & clean regularly, till he gets ahead with good dry wood, and doesn't have to worry about it anymore.. &/or improves his burning habits.
Absolutely correct.