Hand tied flies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
On a wild hair i decided to get into fly tying.
I am starting big and ugly to get the hang of it, and learn to use different materials.
Everything i have tied so far are #2 and #4 hooks. Big streamers for trout.
I have some smaller stuff on order i am anxious to try.
Coolest thing, i went to the river on friday and caught 6 nice fat trout on my creations.
DSC07982.JPGDSC08077.JPGDSC08080.jpgDSC08088.JPGDSC08094.JPGDSC08005.JPG

Looking good. Should catch some big ugly fish. ;lol

Reactions: bfunk13
Looks like you're hooked. :rolleyes:

Reactions: ScotO and bfunk13
Excellent. There is satifaction in catching fish on your own flies. There is some up front cost, but then you can tie a dozen flies and not care so much if a few get lost. I have been tying since 10 or 12 years old. I tie mostly nymph patterns for trout and salt flies for striped bass.

Those look great!

I did a fair bit of fly tying in grad school- loved doing deer hair flies for topwater bass fishing.
Not a bass fisherman anymore- it's catch and eat when I get any chance these days

Oh yeah, you got bit by the bug. Very nice flies.

Thanks guys!
So far i am really enjoying it, and you are right when i lose one i think, hey i can go home and tie more!
I can see it coming in handy in the winter time, sittin in front of the wood stove tying flies for next season.
A friend told me not to get into it to save money cause you really wont, no kidding, not a cheap hobby.

It's like the frog said, "Time's fun when you're havin' (tyin') flies".

I prefer zipper flies. Tied flies take too long to open.

j/k bfunk, that is a pretty impressive setup you have there. I like the character of these flies. They almost have personalities and from the sound of it, they work pretty well too.

Tie/try some streamers for fishing the ice edges for landlocks and browns in early spring!

that's something I have always wanted to try...nice creations

Status
Not open for further replies.