Harbor Freight 22-Ton 6 hp splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fossil

Accidental Moderator
Sep 30, 2007
Bend, OR
Well, I've been happily splitting away with an axe, as Lodgepole Pine splits pretty easily. But now I have (thanks to craigslist and some folks who are moving to Nevada) 6 cords of seasoned wood in a heap for next season. It's a mix of woods and much of it is denser than the wood I'm used to and much harder to split. Some is already split, but a good deal of it is not, or is larger than we like to handle. 2 cords of it are half- and quarter-rounds from what were originally 24"-30" diameter rounds...so there's some sizeable wood there. Anyway, I've got a Harbor Freight retail store in town, and have been looking at their 6 HP 22-Ton splitter with the Subaru engine. Can get it shipped to the store at no charge. I've read and re-read the downloadable manual, and I can't find anywhere that specifically says whether or not this unit has an auto-return feature. Reading the operating instructions leads me to believe it does not...but I've never owned a splitter before, so there could very easily be something I'm missing.

So...Harbor Freight 22-Ton 6 HP splitter - auto-return, or not? That is the question. Any other info/review/experience with this splitter you'd like to share would also be much appreciated. Thanks, Rick

not sure about harbor freight splitter but all other splitters seen do my friend just brought one from tractor supply we have locally it works great good luck

Looking at their website their splitters appear to use a Prince LS 3000 valve designed for log splitters. This valve usually has a return detent position.

Do the search... I've seen some stuff in the past on HF splitters, with mixed reviews. However it's a fairly standard unit, so I doubt if it's much better or worse than any of the other similar units, and that is the apparent optimal size / value point for gas splitters - big enough to handle most anything you can throw at it, but not overly so.

Gooserider

I would assume that it does. This is pretty standard for log splitters.

Check this out. The Harbor Freight splitter looks allot like the 22 Ton Brave log splitter that I have. http://www.braveproducts.com/itemde...tegory&categoryid=103&parentid=0&searchtext;=

I like my Brave and it has gone through MORE than I would have thought. The motor is a 5 horse briggs. Even through the knotty stuff the motor has NEVER stalled or wanted to. I've had it for 2 years and split about 10 cords. I purchased it slightly used. Since it looks like the same design I figured I would mention my Brave splitter.

-Mike

Ended up buying the Yard Machines 25-Ton with a B&S;engine from Home Depot. Towed it home yesterday. Maybe $100 more than the HF, but I like the cradles and the fact that I didn't have to wait for it. Cranckase was filled, and the hydraulic system was filled and bled, so all I had to do was put gas in it. Started right up on the second pull, and I was splitting wood. I like it. Rick

Probably wasn't even that much more considering you would have had to put hydraulic fluid into the HF unit in all probability...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Probably wasn't even that much more considering you would have had to put hydraulic fluid into the HF unit in all probability...

No doubt, and good point. Especially after browsing through the manual and realizing just how much hydraulic fluid is in that system. I'm a happy splitter. Wife got her first demonstration a little while ago, and she was amazed. Rick

That sounds like the splitter I got there. it's been a good splitter. so good my neighbor hasn't returned it since last September. After work today I am going to retrieve it.

I am building myself a new one, I want a little more speed and power to handle a 4 way split wedge. The new one has no wheels so it can't roll next door any more. It has steel legs with steel pads for feet.

Eric

EricV said:
That sounds like the splitter I got there. it's been a good splitter. so good my neighbor hasn't returned it since last September. After work today I am going to retrieve it.

I am building myself a new one, I want a little more speed and power to handle a 4 way split wedge. The new one has no wheels so it can't roll next door any more. It has steel legs with steel pads for feet.

Eric

That sounds like what I'm planning to build. Please send us some pics and your final specs when your done. I like the idea of a 4 way wedge and faster operation. Sorry I'm not trying to hijack the thread.

Will do.

It's almost complete. I need a professional welder to weld the wedge on. I can weld but I also know my limits.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.